Do you think this is fair or unfair?

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fair enough, I understand.

We as a society have decided that it is ethical to provide certain benefits to groups of the populations, I suppose if you are completely libertarian, you would feel that all "pay-out" programs to specific populations, i.e. the retired, the elderly, the ill, are technically privileges.

But when I hear the word privilege, I automatically think of white privilege, wealth/socio-economic privilege, gender privilege, etc. or groups that just essentially have an advantage from just "being".

I think a mother and child dyad fall would NOT fall into that category of receiving special treatment just based on their roles alone, in fact in the professional world, the opposite often occurs. I also feel receiving paid maternity leave is truly an investment in society long-term physical and psychological health.
Nebbioloschnebbiolo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:24 am We have differing opinions of what "special privilege" entails.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 pm Not Dane’s mom but, no maternity leave and pay is not a special privilege, IMO, it fits better as a “benefit” much like retirement, social security benefits, medical insurance.
Nebbioloschnebbiolo wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:52 pm Isn't it technically a special privilege for having a baby?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 am I find the replies to this post interesting. I don’t know my thoughts on this, mixed feelings. I am appalled at others thinking women on maternity leave should not have promotions, comment. I find it sad, when as a society, women have to choose between being the mother they want to be versus, their career. I would hope we could empower them a bit more. Mothers add diversity to high level leadership positions.
I don't think it has to be a given. If a mother earns a promotion then she gets it. But no company should feel they have to give a mother a promotion or get into trouble for discriminating. The truth is that childless woman probably worked harder and longer than the woman taking 3 maternity leaves and always leaving early to pick her kids up from school or taking off to attend their school events or taking off last minute because her kid got sick. Truth is the childless woman worked longer and harder and she deserves the promotion more than the mother. Just how it is
So the high school student who works hard, but only earns B's and C's should be promoted ahead of the high school student who manages to make A's and B's yet rarely cracked a book?
Not nearly the same thing. What plays into grades is innate capability. You can only do as well as you have capacity to do.

Workplace is different completely. There you have two individuals who would be working a similar job who are on equal footing, or at least display at a minimum a similar skill set. What those two individuals do with that opportunity and skill set; work 80 hours a week or leave early for doctors appointments, determines their fate.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Nebbioloschnebbiolo
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I don't believe an investment, etc. and a special privilege are mutually exclusive.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am Fair enough, I understand.

We as a society have decided that it is ethical to provide certain benefits to groups of the populations, I suppose if you are completely libertarian, you would feel that all "pay-out" programs to specific populations, i.e. the retired, the elderly, the ill, are technically privileges.

But when I hear the word privilege, I automatically think of white privilege, wealth/socio-economic privilege, gender privilege, etc. or groups that just essentially have an advantage from just "being".

I think a mother and child dyad fall would NOT fall into that category of receiving special treatment just based on their roles alone, in fact in the professional world, the opposite often occurs. I also feel receiving paid maternity leave is truly an investment in society long-term physical and psychological health.
Nebbioloschnebbiolo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:24 am We have differing opinions of what "special privilege" entails.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 pm Not Dane’s mom but, no maternity leave and pay is not a special privilege, IMO, it fits better as a “benefit” much like retirement, social security benefits, medical insurance.

RedBottoms

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 am I find the replies to this post interesting. I don’t know my thoughts on this, mixed feelings. I am appalled at others thinking women on maternity leave should not have promotions, comment. I find it sad, when as a society, women have to choose between being the mother they want to be versus, their career. I would hope we could empower them a bit more. Mothers add diversity to high level leadership positions.
I don't think it has to be a given. If a mother earns a promotion then she gets it. But no company should feel they have to give a mother a promotion or get into trouble for discriminating. The truth is that childless woman probably worked harder and longer than the woman taking 3 maternity leaves and always leaving early to pick her kids up from school or taking off to attend their school events or taking off last minute because her kid got sick. Truth is the childless woman worked longer and harder and she deserves the promotion more than the mother. Just how it is
That is certainly your opinion, I've learned long ago on the other site, I don't much debate with you, lol.
well you know what they say-"If you can't run with the big dogs. Stay on the porch." Its hard to debate with someone that is so good at it. ;) LOL
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, that is one way to look at it, one might also state talking to a wall is an exercise of futility. I actually don’t recall the exercise of debate, lol, just lots of rhetoric...which I suppose I can be guilty of as well. But no need for either of us to repeat ourselves.
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am

That is certainly your opinion, I've learned long ago on the other site, I don't much debate with you, lol.
well you know what they say-"If you can't run with the big dogs. Stay on the porch." Its hard to debate with someone that is so good at it. ;) LOL
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think as long as she's able to do the same job as before it should not matter. That's the world we live in though, women are routinely penalized for having a baby. It needs to stop.

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 am

So the high school student who works hard, but only earns B's and C's should be promoted ahead of the high school student who manages to make A's and B's yet rarely cracked a book?
what does that have to do with this? I said if the mother earns the promotion she can have it-but every mother I ever worked with did not earn shit over me when I had no kids. I ran circles around them with attendance, productivity, no calling out, working longer and harder with less breaks and accommodations etc.
"Truth is the childless woman worked longer and harder and she deserves the promotion more than the mother. Just how it is"

That's pure speculation. Although I noticed you make a lot of shit up in your head.

You're in one post talking against self-righteousness , yet here you are acting self-righteous, again, lol.

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am

Not nearly the same thing. What plays into grades is innate capability. You can only do as well as you have capacity to do.

Workplace is different completely. There you have two individuals who would be working a similar job who are on equal footing, or at least display at a minimum a similar skill set. What those two individuals do with that opportunity and skill set; work 80 hours a week or leave early for doctors appointments, determines their fate.
When you're a star...
RedBottoms

Unread post

Guest wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 am
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 am

what does that have to do with this? I said if the mother earns the promotion she can have it-but every mother I ever worked with did not earn shit over me when I had no kids. I ran circles around them with attendance, productivity, no calling out, working longer and harder with less breaks and accommodations etc.
"Truth is the childless woman worked longer and harder and she deserves the promotion more than the mother. Just how it is"

That's pure speculation. Although I noticed you make a lot of shit up in your head.

You're in one post talking against self-righteousness , yet here you are acting self-righteous, again, lol.
I am speaking of my personal experiences. I worked longer and called out less and took less breaks than the mothers I worked with. Just the facts of it.

DH puts in more hours and calls out less and takes less breaks than the mothers he works with and even a lot of the fathers because they are two parent working households so they have to take turns with their wives about who calls out when kids are sick etc.

Dh never calls out or leaves early. Makes him a better employee. Usually why he always gets the maximum bonus every year
Locked Previous topicNext topic