Is it just me or are children’s books dumbed down these days?

hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The golden books are still around & the same as *then*
Now they also have books w/ less words for babies/toddlers
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There us a difference between children's books that are read to the child and books the child reads/reads along with. More LOs are reading at younger ages.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am I did not notice that at all.

I did read a Golden book a couple years ago and thought, this crap is sexist. Where’s brown bear, brown bear, lol!!
We have a handful of the Golden Books. The Little Red Caboose I can hardly get through. Repetition and whininess aside, I’m just not mature enough! The caboose feeling something pushing from behind? Two big, black engines? Mmhmm

But seriously, the old books usually aren’t as good as the new ones. Don’t get me wrong, there are some crap new ones and good old ones, but we try to stick to the newer ones. I particularly like ones where the author paid some attention to rhythm, they are so much more fun to read than “ding, ding, ding goes the alarm. The firemen slide down the pole. Clang, clang, clang goes the fire engine bell. The chief is on his way.” (First four pages of a particularly bad Golden Book).
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I took early childhood in college and my professor hated little golden books. Apparently that's a pretty steady belief in the early childhood community.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

There are all sorts of books. Just pick the ones that suit you.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:23 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am I did not notice that at all.

I did read a Golden book a couple years ago and thought, this crap is sexist. Where’s brown bear, brown bear, lol!!
We have a handful of the Golden Books. The Little Red Caboose I can hardly get through. Repetition and whininess aside, I’m just not mature enough! The caboose feeling something pushing from behind? Two big, black engines? Mmhmm

But seriously, the old books usually aren’t as good as the new ones. Don’t get me wrong, there are some crap new ones and good old ones, but we try to stick to the newer ones. I particularly like ones where the author paid some attention to rhythm, they are so much more fun to read than “ding, ding, ding goes the alarm. The firemen slide down the pole. Clang, clang, clang goes the fire engine bell. The chief is on his way.” (First four pages of a particularly bad Golden Book).
I like rhyming books too. For example, I like Pete the Cat; Grumpy Bird, are the two that I think of, off the top of my head. They have nice lessons to really discuss and reflect upon, but read quickly...Our classics are Curious George, Goodnight Moon, Dr. Suess, some of the Berenstein Bear books (but not all).
Locked Previous topicNext topic