Questions about high school from a clueless parent

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My oldest son will be attending high school this year and I have a few questions on how this works. Before I go on, I have to explain that I was homeschooled as a child and therefore have no experience, what-so-ever, on how this stuff works.

First, when it comes to sports and tryouts. Do you already have to be in athletics in order to try out for things like track and field?

Second, JR ROTC. When do they usually start JR ROTC? Are there special requirements to join? What exactly do they learn? (I know its military based). I looked on the school districts website for information but they didn't have any. Im not sure if they have that program here, but we are planning on moving in a few months and I want to know about it in case we move to a district that has it.

Third, drivers ed! When does this usually start? Do they allow all students in or just a select few? Should I just teach him myself?
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So basically. Each of your questions is school specific and you need to ask some neighbors. In our district, you do not need to be in athletics to tryout for sports, ROTC starts freshman year, and Driver’s Ed is not through the school at all.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

JR ROTC is a class taught by retired military personel. They learn military bearing,drill,history and lots of leadership. They can start in 9th grade
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Shaken1976 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:10 pm So basically. Each of your questions is school specific and you need to ask some neighbors. In our district, you do not need to be in athletics to tryout for sports, ROTC starts freshman year, and Driver’s Ed is not through the school at all.
Thank you
Anonymous 1

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:11 pm JR ROTC is a class taught by retired military personel. They learn military bearing,drill,history and lots of leadership. They can start in 9th grade
Thank you
Anonymous 2

Unread post

People this ignorant have no business raising children
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not sure about most of that but make sure you schedule a sports physical if he plans to do Fall or Winter sports.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:20 pm People this ignorant have no business raising children

How sad your life must be for you to feel the need to constantly make hateful, inaccurate comments like that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

stilltfez wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:21 pm I'm not sure about most of that but make sure you schedule a sports physical if he plans to do Fall or Winter sports.
He is due for a checkup next month, so I will ask about a sports physical as well. Thank you.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:20 pm People this ignorant have no business raising children
People this ignorant shouldn't be allowed to have S*x with animals much less another humam
Locked Previous topicNext topic