Insurance process

caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

One of our kids flooded our bathroom. We were unsure if it would be worth an insurance claim, but thought we would call, get an adjuster out, and see what they thought. Instead, they sent out a water remediation company. Who is a subcontractor that will subcontract additional repairs.

Has anyone else been through this process? Did we skip a step?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

When our pipes froze and burst this past winter, we called our insurance agent. They did as yours did and put me in touch with a water remediation company. That company did the work.

If I were you, I'd get the estimate for the repair and ask your insurance company if your insurance will be going up if you do put in a claim. In my case, I learned that as long as I didn't have another claim in the next two years, we would see no increase to our annual premium.

Just ask your insurance company all the questions that you want. And then, make a decision from there.
caustib wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 pm One of our kids flooded our bathroom. We were unsure if it would be worth an insurance claim, but thought we would call, get an adjuster out, and see what they thought. Instead, they sent out a water remediation company. Who is a subcontractor that will subcontract additional repairs.

caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 pm When our pipes froze and burst this past winter, we called our insurance agent. They did as yours did and put me in touch with a water remediation company. That company did the work.

If I were you, I'd get the estimate for the repair and ask your insurance company if your insurance will be going up if you do put in a claim. In my case, I learned that as long as I didn't have another claim in the next two years, we would see no increase to our annual premium.

Just ask your insurance company all the questions that you want. And then, make a decision from there.
caustib wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 pm One of our kids flooded our bathroom. We were unsure if it would be worth an insurance claim, but thought we would call, get an adjuster out, and see what they thought. Instead, they sent out a water remediation company. Who is a subcontractor that will subcontract additional repairs.

The guy was fortunately pretty honest and told DH he could handle this himself. I cant call the agent until Monday, and that's kind of what we were thinking. But we were worried that since they sent him out they would consider it a claim either way.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No. Don't worry about that. It's not a claim until YOU say it's a claim.

I do happen to agree that this could be handled by your DH. All it takes is a good professional cleaning machine. And then, very powerful FAN in the on position for 2 days straight.
caustib wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 pm When our pipes froze and burst this past winter, we called our insurance agent. They did as yours did and put me in touch with a water remediation company. That company did the work.

The guy was fortunately pretty honest and told DH he could handle this himself. I cant call the agent until Monday, and that's kind of what we were thinking. But we were worried that since they sent him out they would consider it a claim either way.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

PS: We were very fortunate, too. Our water restoration company was very honest and fair.
caustib wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic