Should he still be paid?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No. It sucks that there is no work but no work no pay.

We tell our clients (all small businesses) to send employees home early if there is nothing to do. If there's no work, and the employee is just standing around, no reason to pay them to be on the clock. Send them home and save some wages. This advice was dished out recently to a client asking about what to do about the minimum wage hike coming January 1.

And that's the bigger picture of why minimum wage increases don't work. All of the small employers (I work for one myself) can't just eat that cost. That's food on their own family's table. So they either have to raise prices or lessen the workforce or both. But I digress.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The library needs to find other things for him to do and pay him.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm The library needs to find other things for him to do and pay him.
Why? He isnt trained to do anything else. I get this a lot with my aides. If their client goes into the hospital,they dont get paid
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Unfortunately no if he is an hourly employee.

Construction employees don't get paid when it rains. Mechanics don't get paid when there are no cars. I see this as no different
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm The library needs to find other things for him to do and pay him.
Why? He isnt trained to do anything else. I get this a lot with my aides. If their client goes into the hospital,they dont get paid

If that's made known up front about that possibiity, that's fair.

I think this is an interesting contrast to another post a few weeks ago where a city was paying people who worked in one of its buildings even though the buidling wasn't able to be used for some reason for awhile. So the people weren't actually working but were still collecting paychecks, and not all of them were salaried. Most everyone thought that was the right thing to do then. Strange how the opinions so far here are mostly opposite.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

If he’s a salary employee, yes.

If he’s hourly, no... but, ideally, they should find something else for him to do to get his hours.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Nope, especially if he let them send him home. He had the option to tell them to give him something else to do, and he didn't use that option.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:11 pm No. It sucks that there is no work but no work no pay.

We tell our clients (all small businesses) to send employees home early if there is nothing to do. If there's no work, and the employee is just standing around, no reason to pay them to be on the clock. Send them home and save some wages. This advice was dished out recently to a client asking about what to do about the minimum wage hike coming January 1.

And that's the bigger picture of why minimum wage increases don't work. All of the small employers (I work for one myself) can't just eat that cost. That's food on their own family's table. So they either have to raise prices or lessen the workforce or both. But I digress.
That is pretty much how I run a shift. Nothing to do and you are standing around, I am going to send you home. Don't want to do something or find something to do, I don't need you on the clock using up time and money.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:41 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm

If that's made known up front about that possibiity, that's fair.

I think this is an interesting contrast to another post a few weeks ago where a city was paying people who worked in one of its buildings even though the buidling wasn't able to be used for some reason for awhile. So the people weren't actually working but were still collecting paychecks, and not all of them were salaried. Most everyone thought that was the right thing to do then. Strange how the opinions so far here are mostly opposite.
I never saw that post but in that scenario I would say too that the hourly employees should not get paid. Salaried employees should. That's part of the difference of being salaried vs hourly. The only exception for hourly employees would be if they had some sort of contract stating otherwise.

I've been both before. When I was salaried I absolutely expected to be paid even if I wasn't there working for some reason. As hourly, if I'm not there working, I don't get paid. I accepted that as part of the deal when I accepted an hourly position (which I'm in now as it is).
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd be curious to read his contract/job description.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Locked Previous topicNext topic