Do you have an Alexa?

ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Jlop0004 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 am No, I'm not lazy.
LoL How is it lazy to listen to music or make a video call ?
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Jlop0004 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 am No, I'm not lazy.
I'm not either but when my gloved hands are covered in epoxy it's extremely helpful to be able to set my timer with my voice instead of ruining something I would have to touch.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have Alexa all over the house and yes I believe she's listening. More than once I was having a conversation about a very specific thing and a few moments later I received an email about the exact thing I was talking about
megamom82
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

No. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but they do listen in on stuff.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:58 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 am
Pjmm wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 pm I don't. I can't shake the feeling this shit is how Big Brother will start. I've used my Google assistant on mobile but I don't like it. Besides if I want information or to hear jokes I can call my father and have an actual conversation. The man knows all lol.
Your phone does the same thing.
I didnt say my fears were rational. Idk. I just don't like the damned things. I feel they're listening in. My phone is different. It's in my pocket, a purse, or turned off. Also the whole telling it to turn on a light switch. I can't help but feel like a fat human in Wall-e. Too much sci-fi i guess.
I used to feel the same way then my phone was on its last leg and I realized it was useless. I was in bed and my dog pushed the door open and walked in the room. I said "Lego what are you doing?" And I kid you not my phone says "7am the dog comes in the bedroom and Lisa says "Lego what are you doing? " it was then that I realized trying to avoid this is pointless because its everywhere now.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Interesting. Sounds like a nifty little thing!
bmw29 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:32 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm I can hear it now, "Alexa, tell Alexa to be quiet." ..."No, Alexa! YOU be quiet!" :lol:
bmw29 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm I have 3 Alexa's in the house not counting the ones on the 4 firesticks. I also have one in my car. We play music through them, set alarms and times, control the indoor temperature, control the TVs, keep grocery and to do lists, set reminders, play games, get weather and news briefings.....the list is endless.
LOL They never respond to each other and only the one in the room you're in responds when you ask a question or make a request. The list feature is my favorite because it goes straight to my phone which makes it easier to keep track of what we need. The timer is also handy when I'm working because I need to have multiple going at once and my hands are usually covered in things I don't want to get everywhere.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We have 2 and use it for music. But OMG my dad! He loves his Alexa and asks her a million questions a day, like that’s his buddy. Lol
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

megamom82 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm No. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but they do listen in on stuff.
Who?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 am

Your phone does the same thing.
I didnt say my fears were rational. Idk. I just don't like the damned things. I feel they're listening in. My phone is different. It's in my pocket, a purse, or turned off. Also the whole telling it to turn on a light switch. I can't help but feel like a fat human in Wall-e. Too much sci-fi i guess.
I used to feel the same way then my phone was on its last leg and I realized it was useless. I was in bed and my dog pushed the door open and walked in the room. I said "Lego what are you doing?" And I kid you not my phone says "7am the dog comes in the bedroom and Lisa says "Lego what are you doing? " it was then that I realized trying to avoid this is pointless because its everywhere now.
Google assistant doesn't do that. It might think I'm speaking to it. Like I'll say the word Google and it will open a search based on what I'm saying after that. So if I say to someone Google sucks ass it might respond by saying "I don't know what to say to that". But not in the way you're describing. If it did that I'd turn the phone off or something.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:22 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Google assistant doesn't do that. It might think I'm speaking to it. Like I'll say the word Google and it will open a search based on what I'm saying after that. So if I say to someone Google sucks ass it might respond by saying "I don't know what to say to that". But not in the way you're describing. If it did that I'd turn the phone off or something.
Sure it doesn't. What makes you think with smart TVs listening and Google home listening Google assistant would never do such a thing? So you've never talked about something without searching for it then had it pop up on an ad? Because that has happened to basically everyone I know who owns a smart phone. Using Google assistant is exactly like using Google home same keywords to get it to respond and everything.
Locked Previous topicNext topic