Would you be mad if your 16 year old got a passport behind your back?

Bubelah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

How many times has this been done? If a kid is 16 or older, has a certified BC, a driver's license or state issued photo ID, a head shot ,and a couple hundred bucks, they can get a passport totally on their own.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am Look at the actual form
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am For applicants Aged 16 and 17...

4. Show Parental Awareness
If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

A parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11.
A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... 16-17.html

I'm looking at the actual form. I don't see anywhere that says it is recommended but not required on the actual form- it says that on the website. It also says that it is up to the agent- some agents may accept it without parental awareness, others may not.

I think it's bizarre that a kid would do this without their parent's knowledge or even a simple conversation. "Hey, look mom, I figured out how to get my passport all on my own!"

I would be thrilled my child was so independent. I don't see this as going behind your back. I do see it as sort of a secret. I would just have a conversation with her about keeping me in the loop with major life events, decisions, paperwork, etc., because it's the right thing and the safest thing to do.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am For applicants Aged 16 and 17...

4. Show Parental Awareness
If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

A parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11.
A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... 16-17.html

I'm looking at the actual form. I don't see anywhere that says it is recommended but not required on the actual form- it says that on the website. It also says that it is up to the agent- some agents may accept it without parental awareness, others may not.

I think it's bizarre that a kid would do this without their parent's knowledge or even a simple conversation. "Hey, look mom, I figured out how to get my passport all on my own!"

I would be thrilled my child was so independent. I don't see this as going behind your back. I do see it as sort of a secret. I would just have a conversation with her about keeping me in the loop with major life events, decisions, paperwork, etc., because it's the right thing and the safest thing to do.
I just dont understand why she would feel the need to hide it. I would have had no problem if she said she wanted to go get one. She did it so I wouldnt know, even she said that.

On the actual form you can sign it if you are 16+ on your own without any parents. It might not be accepted though
mama_danetta
Countess
Countess

Unread post

You're overbearing.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I just dont understand why she would feel the need to hide it. I would have had no problem if she said she wanted to go get one. She did it so I wouldnt know, even she said that.

On the actual form you can sign it if you are 16+ on your own without any parents. It might not be accepted though
Because she was afraid you'd make a big deal out of it ... which you are ... hence this post.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/

Unread post

mama_danetta wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 pm You're overbearing.
How exactly?

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Because she was afraid you'd make a big deal out of it ... which you are ... hence this post.
I was wondering if people would be mad. How is feeling the whole thing is odd and keeping an eye on her making a big deal about it? It is weird she would rather have the passport on her instead of in the safe. If she isnt using it until the weekend why does it have to be on her right now? You dont think that is weird?
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Weird that your 16 was able to go through the entire passport process and you not know. Especially just to get into Canada. We go back and forth with our drivers license (federal) and birth certificate. Our minor children only need birth certificate.
Love
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I would be more upset at the person who issued it since you need to be 18 or have parental consent to get a passport.

Unread post

Love wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:39 pm I would be more upset at the person who issued it since you need to be 18 or have parental consent to get a passport.
Like I said. It was legal for her to get one
Locked Previous topicNext topic