Going back to school?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I need to make some changes in my life. I would like to go back to school and finish my degree. I am 38 with 3 kids and a full time job.

I would like to as much as possible online, but am willing to go to the campus if needed.

I plan on going down to the campus and talk to admissions in the next week or so and hopefully start in spring 2020.

But please tell me I am not crazy? Can this be done?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Do you know approximately how many classes you'll need to finish your degree?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm I need to make some changes in my life. I would like to go back to school and finish my degree. I am 38 with 3 kids and a full time job.

I would like to as much as possible online, but am willing to go to the campus if needed.

I plan on going down to the campus and talk to admissions in the next week or so and hopefully start in spring 2020.

Loves2sonshines
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Do it. Why would getting a higher education be crazy? As long as you have a game plan and it's not a waste of money ...go for it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Education is never a waste. Teaching your children how to work for their dreams is a very good thing.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I think education is important. But so is actually spending time with your children. Kids only are kids for a short time. I personally wouldn't give that up. I would wait until they were grown up.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't think you're crazy. And by returning to school and finishing your degree, you are showing your children how important you think an education is. You're setting a great example for them.

Good luck to you!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I just graduated after 4 long years of school, so I am so biased on this topic, lol! My entire family sacrificed so I could reach this goal. Although, it was (or at least will be) worth it, it was not without consequences to relationships & my life.

My biggest recommendations:
1) make sure you have a goal where you will utilize this degree. I would not work on a degree, which requires sacrifice of family time, IF after graduation, there was not a clear benefit of increased quality of life either by job satisfaction or financial reward.

2) slow and steady wins the race, IMO. Online classes may save you the commute time but they still take a lot of time. I would only go part-part time if you have a family and full time job.

Good luck, I wish you the best!
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm I need to make some changes in my life. I would like to go back to school and finish my degree. I am 38 with 3 kids and a full time job.

I went and got my masters when I was on my 30s while AD....Best thing I ever did
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wish I was brave enough to go back. Good luck to you OP.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:55 pm I think education is important. But so is actually spending time with your children. Kids only are kids for a short time. I personally wouldn't give that up. I would wait until they were grown up.
If she's a sahm and the kids are in school What else will she do? Ods is taking online classes she can do one or two as well. But I'm a working mom so my perspective maybe is different. It can be done.
Edit: I'm tired and I missed the full time job. That's more difficult but she could do an online class all the same. Or work part time if finances permit. I'd at least work towards the goal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic