Be honest... could you really afford it?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am laughing at a lot of the people in the other posts going on about how they would pay for their kids to go to college with no limits. I wonder if they are really rich or dont have high hopes for their children.

My education cost about $550,000 total. My brother's education cost about $350,000. That is only looking at tuition costs. My parents helped pay but could not cover all of that. They only had two kids. I am not sure what they would have done if they had more.

How many on here could honestly afford to cover all those costs?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Some of us are smart and started college funds when the kids were born.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Before Newsome took office we could have. We've gone from having disposable income to struggling.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm Some of us are smart and started college funds when the kids were born.
I am not saying it is impossible or that people cant do it. I just dont think a ton of people on here could

How old are your kids? How much do/did you have saved up?

I have a lot of money saved up for my own kids. I feel confident that we will be able to cover everything but I only have two kids. I cant imagine if I had 4 or 5 trying to save up all that money lol
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm I am laughing at a lot of the people in the other posts going on about how they would pay for their kids to go to college with no limits. I wonder if they are really rich or dont have high hopes for their children.

My education cost about $550,000 total. My brother's education cost about $350,000. That is only looking at tuition costs. My parents helped pay but could not cover all of that. They only had two kids. I am not sure what they would have done if they had more.

Where did you go that costs over $500K? My kid is at a private university and it's about $50K/year. Luckily she's gotten grants and scholarships so the 529 covered the rest for the 1st 2 years with her living on campus her freshman year. She and her bf have their own place for the past year and she works and has enough saved up to cover the next school year's bills.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm I am laughing at a lot of the people in the other posts going on about how they would pay for their kids to go to college with no limits. I wonder if they are really rich or dont have high hopes for their children.

Where did you go that costs over $500K? My kid is at a private university and it's about $50K/year. Luckily she's gotten grants and scholarships so the 529 covered the rest for the 1st 2 years with her living on campus her freshman year. She and her bf have their own place for the past year and she works and has enough saved up to cover the next school year's bills.
I had 4 years of undergrad, 4 years in med school, and 4 years of residency. If I went to an undergrad program that was that expensive it would have been even more over all
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I can because of a trust fund, very smart investments, and always living below my means. It didn't hurt that I married a man on the same financial level.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 pm I can because of a trust fund, very smart investments, and always living below my means. It didn't hurt that I married a man on the same financial level.
That is great!
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I didn't see anyone say that they would pay for their kids' college with no limits. I only saw that many said they would pay. But what makes you think that those who said they would pay would really not?

I think most parents would do what they could for their kids. And I don't think there's anything wrong with having the kid also pay.

To each their own.

SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

f**k no, not even close. I said so in that post too. I have saved up for my son as much as I was able to swing without damaging my own future, but that amount is a lot closer to "safety cushion" than it is to "free ride". Like, it might help him get through college without crippling debt, but it never would have even remotely stretched to cover a full bachelor's degree. That's just the reality of it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic