Be honest... could you really afford it?

Deleted User 1039

Yes, we could. We would have to take out loans, but we could afford it. We won’t be paying that much, but it would be possible.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Praying for scholarships, but yeah. A regular 4 year university she'll have enough for.

Not an Ivy league or anything like that.
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

My kids have started saving for their kids now ..
Wish we could have when mine went to college ..
Anonymous 10

We’re only paying for their undergraduate. Any decent company will pay for a Masters and Doctorate. We have a college fund plus stock in the company my husband works for. And this guy my MIL works for gave us 20,000 each time we had one of our boys. They’re only 6 and 2 so we have years for all the money we already have together to grow.
Anonymous 9

You’re not a doctor. Residents don’t pay tuition, they receive a salary.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm I am laughing at a lot of the people in the other posts going on about how they would pay for their kids to go to college with no limits. I wonder if they are really rich or dont have high hopes for their children.

My education cost about $550,000 total. My brother's education cost about $350,000. That is only looking at tuition costs. My parents helped pay but could not cover all of that. They only had two kids. I am not sure what they would have done if they had more.

How many on here could honestly afford to cover all those costs?
Where did you go that costs over $500K? My kid is at a private university and it's about $50K/year. Luckily she's gotten grants and scholarships so the 529 covered the rest for the 1st 2 years with her living on campus her freshman year. She and her bf have their own place for the past year and she works and has enough saved up to cover the next school year's bills.
I had 4 years of undergrad, 4 years in med school, and 4 years of residency. If I went to an undergrad program that was that expensive it would have been even more over all
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm I am laughing at a lot of the people in the other posts going on about how they would pay for their kids to go to college with no limits. I wonder if they are really rich or dont have high hopes for their children.

My education cost about $550,000 total. My brother's education cost about $350,000. That is only looking at tuition costs. My parents helped pay but could not cover all of that. They only had two kids. I am not sure what they would have done if they had more.

How many on here could honestly afford to cover all those costs?
Where did you go that costs over $500K? My kid is at a private university and it's about $50K/year. Luckily she's gotten grants and scholarships so the 529 covered the rest for the 1st 2 years with her living on campus her freshman year. She and her bf have their own place for the past year and she works and has enough saved up to cover the next school year's bills.
I had 4 years of undergrad, 4 years in med school, and 4 years of residency. If I went to an undergrad program that was that expensive it would have been even more over all
I didn’t think you had to pay for a residency I thought residents got paid
Anonymous 1

hockeymom87 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm

You do get paid but it is minimal and you still pay tuition
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm
You do get paid but it is minimal and you still pay tuition
I have a friend who is a doctor and she didn’t. She paid for medical school but not her residency. She made like 50,000 a year as a resident
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

We pay half after scholarships and their subsidized loans. I’m not ashamed to admit we can’t afford full tuition for two kids. We’ve got one child who will need support for the rest of his life. My other two can figure things out.
Anonymous 11

It should only cost roughly 9,000 a year to send each of our kids. That averages out to only 750 per month, and should be easily doable with our income, especially as our income is expected to have increased substantially by that point (our oldest is 10). We're saving for it now anyway because we never know what the future holds.
Locked Previous topicNext topic