He thought I needed to evict him

Unread post

My son has been a giant asshole in the last 6 months. He just turned 18 a couple days ago. He graduated a semester early from high school and he really let it get to his head. He went full on "Im an adult I do what I want" mode. He was doing some adult things like working and a semester of university which were good, but the other "adult" things he did is where problems started.

First it started with a shitty know it all attitude then it turned into blatant disrespect for people and the rules. He would leave when he wanted and come back when he wanted. Even for days. Legally there was nothing I could do. They dont consider 17 year olds runaways and he knew that.

I tried talking to him about it multiple times. It turned into me telling him if he wants to be an adult he can do things on his own. I turned off his phone, I changed the wifi password. I stopped supporting him in any way. I made it clear that when he was 18 he would move out on his own if he couldnt follow the house rules

Well now he is 18 and he still isnt following the rules. There are only 4 of them and he cant manage it. I told him he needs to move out.

He tried to be a smartass saying that I would have to go to court and evict him. I told him that is not the case. I know this because I went to see my options months ago. I was worried I would have to evict him and I didnt want to do that. I wanted to work things out and have him living here but just in case it didnt work I wanted to know what would happen next. As long as I make him leave in the first 30 days he isnt a resident legally, no need for eviction

He came home at 3 am and woke up the whole house. Then he proceeded to listen to loud music while everyone was trying to sleep. I went and took the power cord to the stereo and told him we would talk in the morning but he better start packing

He didnt pack. He thought I was joking and I was not. I told him on his birthday that he was 18 now and I no longer had to have him living here at home. That there are rules he needs to follow and if he cant he needs to leave. He said he would try and that was clearly BS or it would have taken more than a couple days before he acted like this. That is when the whole conversation happened about him thinking I needed to evict him. I told him to pack up or I would pack up for him the next time he leaves and he will find his stuff outside.

So now he is packing up to leave. It breaks my heart but I know it is what is needed. I know he can support himself, he has already proven that, so I know in the end he will be okay. I just never thought he would act like this or I would have to tell him to leave. My other kids are all living at home while going to college (except one who lives in the dorms out of state). I always thought DS would do the same.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So what are we debating here? The legal eviction, his being 17 and already graduated, you looking up laws, what? That's what these posts are always for right?

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am So what are we debating here? The legal eviction, his being 17 and already graduated, you looking up laws, what? That's what these posts are always for right?
There is no debate here, there is nothing to debate. I was just venting mostly
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't care if he left for days so long as he gave me the courtesy of telling me where he went so I didn't worry. The only rules I'd really have is no drugs, no getting shit faced drunk, no crazy parties, no waking up the household coming home and no overnight guests unless you're engaged. You do what you want though.

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:40 am I wouldn't care if he left for days so long as he gave me the courtesy of telling me where he went so I didn't worry. The only rules I'd really have is no drugs, no getting shit faced drunk, no crazy parties, no waking up the household coming home and no overnight guests unless you're engaged. You do what you want though.
He didnt tell me where he was going and he was drinking at least some of the times.

My rules are 1. Be respectful 2. Clean up after yourself 3. No drugs alcohol unless you are of legal age. 4. Dont block people in the driveway.

He has had problems with all of those things multiple times.
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:39 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am So what are we debating here? The legal eviction, his being 17 and already graduated, you looking up laws, what? That's what these posts are always for right?
There is no debate here, there is nothing to debate. I was just venting mostly
Do you feel better now?
I shit glitter
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sometimes tough love is what's needed.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sadly sometimes being kicked out of the nest is the only way a baby bird will learn to fly.

I personally would have turned off the power to his room and told him when he pays for power he can have it lol.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

You have to do what is best and at 18, with the new, baby adult thinking their poo does not stink, sometimes having a rug pulled out from underneath them is truly the BEST thing a parent or others in their lives can do for them.

Shock reality therapy.

At 18, everyone from their parent's to their teachers have told them "You can do anything you want now," meaning the world is at their feet and the opportunities are limitless.

Unfortunately a lot of 18 year old baby adults take it to mean something entirely different.

The world will wake him up if you don't, OP. I promise. :)
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Good for you! He wants to be grown, now he can be. Sink or swim, baby boy!
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Locked Previous topicNext topic