Homeschooling: Say Something?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Someone I know well enough posted on FB today that she hasn’t touched her 3rd grader’s homeschool curriculum in months and that she’s been beating herself up about it, but life has just been too busy (2 other younger kids, deployment, trying to create a farm). She then goes on to brag that what they’re doing must be working, as said 3rd grader remembered how to make an anti-itch paste today from a book she’d read.

I’m biting my tongue for now, but I can’t help wanting to say something. Life is only going to get busier for them, and if she can’t homeschool one child, how will she homeschool three and run a farm?

This is a family friend. Would you say something? The rest of her family says she only homeschools because she doesn’t want to deal with the routine and responsibility brick and mortar school requires.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

I'd say something to her. She needs a reality check.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

States might need to step up their overseeing of homeschooling. I believe in Florida they still have to take FSA. I'm surprised in other places they do not or don't have to provide lesson plans. And what responsibility does public schooling require? You get your kid there and oversee homework. That's why teachers are struggling these days because parents abdicate their responsibility. I'd say something. I might lose a friend but oh well.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Well....unschooling is a thing that some people do. It's not my favorite method but it does seem to work for some kids if they're motivated.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She’s not really doing that, though. She’s basically just ignoring her child’s education altogether.
bmw29 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm Well....unschooling is a thing that some people do. It's not my favorite method but it does seem to work for some kids if they're motivated.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm not sure I'd possess the capacity to not say something.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm She’s not really doing that, though. She’s basically just ignoring her child’s education altogether.
bmw29 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm Well....unschooling is a thing that some people do. It's not my favorite method but it does seem to work for some kids if they're motivated.
I'd tell her to get it together before someone decided a call to the truant officer or CPS was warranted. Idk how truancy works with homeschooling but does she really want to find out?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Sadly I've found it wont do any good to say anything. And I homeschool. Some people just shouldn't do it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It's homeschoolers like that that give the ones doing it right a bad name.

ETA: previous homeschooler
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Doesn't sound like unschooling, sounds like lazy-assedness. She said she had a curriculum (which most homeschoolers DON'T), and is just not doing it. I get that sometimes things happen and you can fall behind a few days, or maybe a week or two, but it clearly sounds like she just hasn't bothered.
Locked Previous topicNext topic