Homeschooling: Say Something?

Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You could send her links to unschooling. If she is going to start a farm, that is a perfect way to learn through your environment.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do not think it is your place to say anything to her. I do not believe it will be well received. May I ask why you are dying to say something?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Because she’s neglecting her child. Do you have an oil for that?
Lotus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm I do not think it is your place to say anything to her. I do not believe it will be well received. May I ask why you are dying to say something?
Anonymous 6

Unread post

If she was my friend, I would say something. My friends and I talk about parenting stuff all the time, so the next time we were talking about our kids, I would just ask her about it, not in a judgmental way, but just to see how she's doing and maybe offer up some ideas.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As a fellow homeschooler, I would not say a word. Why? I don't know what her schedule is with the state. Most states require homeschoolers to set a calendar with the state and teach a certain number of days. I set my calendar from 6/1- 6/1 of the following year. As a matter of fact, I set my new calendar this morning with my state. It is for 6/1/19-6/1/20. That means, I have one year to complete the school year. Since my calendar is set like this, my kids are ahead of the game. My oldest finished 7th grade in Febrauary and started 8th grade in April. My youngest started 6th grade in April. By the time June comes around next year, they will have already started their new grade levels of 9th and 7th grades. Homeschooling is meant to be flexible and allow for long breaks unlike brick and mortar schools.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

You are a very different type of homeschooler than she is. By her own words, her child is way behind due to her lack of motivation and follow-through.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:02 pm As a fellow homeschooler, I would not say a word. Why? I don't know what her schedule is with the state. Most states require homeschoolers to set a calendar with the state and teach a certain number of days. I set my calendar from 6/1- 6/1 of the following year. As a matter of fact, I set my new calendar this morning with my state. It is for 6/1/19-6/1/20. That means, I have one year to complete the school year. Since my calendar is set like this, my kids are ahead of the game. My oldest finished 7th grade in Febrauary and started 8th grade in April. My youngest started 6th grade in April. By the time June comes around next year, they will have already started their new grade levels of 9th and 7th grades. Homeschooling is meant to be flexible and allow for long breaks unlike brick and mortar schools.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would honestly distance myself completely because I feel so strongly about education this would be a deal breaker for me.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My state requires standardized testing at the end of the year to determine progress for homeschoolers. What does your state require?
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I probably wouldn't.

If he remembered something from a book she read, then she's reading to him. If he's learning how to treat minor wounds and bites then he's learning important life skills. If he's with her while she's starting a farm he's learning the science behind life.

It kind of sounds like she is unschooling him.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The child remembered something from a book that she, the child, had read.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 pm I probably wouldn't.

If he remembered something from a book she read, then she's reading to him. If he's learning how to treat minor wounds and bites then he's learning important life skills. If he's with her while she's starting a farm he's learning the science behind life.

It kind of sounds like she is unschooling him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic