Do you tip your contractors?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have a brick mason who's been working at my house for the past week and should finish tomorrow. He has done a really great job with everything and this job has been quite an unconventional challenge. I'm really pleased with how much effort he's put in to make it right and it looks so great.

His bill for labor will be 3350. He had a helper who he's paying. I supplied all of the materials and transported them to my house, which cost me an additional 800. That's a lot of money for me, and it's already a bit of a stretch for my budget.

Is it conventional to tip a contractor? Will he be offended if I don't? I wouldnt have even considered tipping him except that he really has done such a good job.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I honestly don't think you need to tip your contractor.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Dh is an hvac guy and honestly when he worked residential he was happy when someone offered him a cold bottle of water in the middle of summer. He rarely even got that.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

You paid the man close to $3400 to do a job. He don't need no tip.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

For me it depends on whether they work for a firm or for themselves. I always assume that a firm is ripping their employees off at least a little bit, so I generally tend to tip, and if they work for themselves, then I consider that they're perfectly able to set a price they consider fair and I see no need to tip.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I might in your situation. You said he did a very good job and it was a difficult job. I’d give the guy $100
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, I don’t tip for that. I will supply cold drinks for people working at my house.
Lilysma719
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have never even considered tipping someone doing work in my home.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I never understood why people think you should tip someone for doing their job. There is nothing intelligent about that
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've never hired a contractor, but if we did no I wouldn't tip
Locked Previous topicNext topic