Used Car Problem?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My BIL bought a car a couple of weeks ago from a dealership. It is used, but has low miles. Because of its age (2014), it did not come with a warranty and was sold "as is." The weather has been pretty mild so he has not had a reason to turn on the air conditioning until today and when he did, it didn't work. The fans work, but the air isn't cold.
This is a big problem because while he's in NY now for summer break, he goes to college in Florida where he will need air conditioning in the car. He is contacting the dealership tomorrow, but what are his rights here? He did buy an as is car, but it also was advertised as having air conditioning so I feel like they need to fix whatever is wrong with that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

If it's sold as is and has no warranty he is probably going to have to fix it himself. The fix could be as simple as a clogged filter or a leak or compressor issue. I would tell him that he is most likely going to foot the bill. There is also no way to tell if the air conditioning was working when it was sold and a few weeks later it stopped working since he never tried it out before he bought the car. Next time he should have a mechanic check the car out before he buys it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm If it's sold as is and has no warranty he is probably going to have to fix it himself. The fix could be as simple as a clogged filter or a leak or compressor issue. I would tell him that he is most likely going to foot the bill. There is also no way to tell if the air conditioning was working when it was sold and a few weeks later it stopped working since he never tried it out before he bought the car. Next time he should have a mechanic check the car out before he buys it.
A mechanic at the dealership did check the car out before he bought it. He was told that everything would be in working order. He bought it two weeks ago, I find it hard to believe it just stopped working since then.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

When you buy a used car, you have to expect some things to be wrong with the vehicle.

The air conditioner may need a charging or a new condenser. Your bil should take it to a mechanic & pay to get the air conditioning working.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:09 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm If it's sold as is and has no warranty he is probably going to have to fix it himself. The fix could be as simple as a clogged filter or a leak or compressor issue. I would tell him that he is most likely going to foot the bill. There is also no way to tell if the air conditioning was working when it was sold and a few weeks later it stopped working since he never tried it out before he bought the car. Next time he should have a mechanic check the car out before he buys it.
A mechanic at the dealership did check the car out before he bought it. He was told that everything would be in working order. He bought it two weeks ago, I find it hard to believe it just stopped working since then.
He should have his own mechanic that he pays to check it out next time and not one on the dealerships payroll check it out.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm When you buy a used car, you have to expect some things to be wrong with the vehicle.

The air conditioner may need a charging or a new condenser. Your bil should take it to a mechanic & pay to get the air conditioning working.
But if they tell them and advertise the car as having working air conditioning and it does not in fact work, I feel like that is on them. When he got the car inspected it needed some new filters, new wipers, he paid for all of that because that's what's expected with a used car. But, this is a major issue that he was told when he bought the car would not be an issue.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm When you buy a used car, you have to expect some things to be wrong with the vehicle.

But if they tell them and advertise the car as having working air conditioning and it does not in fact work, I feel like that is on them. When he got the car inspected it needed some new filters, new wipers, he paid for all of that because that's what's expected with a used car. But, this is a major issue that he was told when he bought the car would not be an issue.
What you feel,does not matter.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm

What you feel,does not matter.
So false advertising doesn't apply to car dealerships and they are allowed to lie about features...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

While they should pay for it it's going to be hard to prove that they were lying about it working since he didn't try it when he bought it 2 weeks ago. He could sue them for it but that will take more than just fixing it himself and I doubt he would win.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I doubt he has any recourse. If it was “as is,” it’s on him to get it checked out prior to purchase.
Locked Previous topicNext topic