Used Car Problem?

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm When you buy a used car, you have to expect some things to be wrong with the vehicle.

The air conditioner may need a charging or a new condenser. Your bil should take it to a mechanic & pay to get the air conditioning working.
But if they tell them and advertise the car as having working air conditioning and it does not in fact work, I feel like that is on them. When he got the car inspected it needed some new filters, new wipers, he paid for all of that because that's what's expected with a used car. But, this is a major issue that he was told when he bought the car would not be an issue.

Your BIL is out of luck. He should have paid a mechanic not affiliated with the dealership to check things out. He has no way to prove anything since two weeks have passed.

Why didn't he check the air and heat when he did the test drive?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm When you buy a used car, you have to expect some things to be wrong with the vehicle.

The air conditioner may need a charging or a new condenser. Your bil should take it to a mechanic & pay to get the air conditioning working.
But if they tell them and advertise the car as having working air conditioning and it does not in fact work, I feel like that is on them. When he got the car inspected it needed some new filters, new wipers, he paid for all of that because that's what's expected with a used car. But, this is a major issue that he was told when he bought the car would not be an issue.

Your BIL is out of luck. He should have paid a mechanic not affiliated with the dealership to check things out. He has no way to prove anything since two weeks have passed.

He did check it, but because it was cold out, there was no way to know that the cool air was just air being blown in by the fans.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BIL is an idiot, he should have hired his own mechanic to inspect the car. Trusting the "dealership mechanic" is like trusting a fox tonguard the henhouse. The dealership machanic WORKS for the dealership thats trying to sell the car as is, smdh
Look up the lemon laws for the state where he bought the car
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:09 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm If it's sold as is and has no warranty he is probably going to have to fix it himself. The fix could be as simple as a clogged filter or a leak or compressor issue. I would tell him that he is most likely going to foot the bill. There is also no way to tell if the air conditioning was working when it was sold and a few weeks later it stopped working since he never tried it out before he bought the car. Next time he should have a mechanic check the car out before he buys it.
A mechanic at the dealership did check the car out before he bought it. He was told that everything would be in working order. He bought it two weeks ago, I find it hard to believe it just stopped working since then.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He isn't an idiot. He is 19, so yes when the mechanic inspects the whole car and he is told that the car has air conditioning, he believes that the car has air conditioning.
Sassy762 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm BIL is an idiot, he should have hired his own mechanic to inspect the car. Trusting the "dealership mechanic" is like trusting a fox tonguard the henhouse. The dealership machanic WORKS for the dealership thats trying to sell the car as is, smdh
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm If it's sold as is and has no warranty he is probably going to have to fix it himself. The fix could be as simple as a clogged filter or a leak or compressor issue. I would tell him that he is most likely going to foot the bill. There is also no way to tell if the air conditioning was working when it was sold and a few weeks later it stopped working since he never tried it out before he bought the car. Next time he should have a mechanic check the car out before he buys it.
A mechanic at the dealership did check the car out before he bought it. He was told that everything would be in working order. He bought it two weeks ago, I find it hard to believe it just stopped working since then.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 pm

He did check it, but because it was cold out, there was no way to know that the cool air was just air being blown in by the fans.

Your BIL has learned a valuable lesson about the perils of buying a used car. I hope for his sake it's not also an expensive lesson.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 pm He isn't an idiot. He is 19, so yes when the mechanic inspects the whole car and he is told that the car has air conditioning, he believes that the car has air conditioning.
Sassy762 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm BIL is an idiot, he should have hired his own mechanic to inspect the car. Trusting the "dealership mechanic" is like trusting a fox tonguard the henhouse. The dealership machanic WORKS for the dealership thats trying to sell the car as is, smdh

A more experienced family member should have walked him through it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:28 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 pm He isn't an idiot. He is 19, so yes when the mechanic inspects the whole car and he is told that the car has air conditioning, he believes that the car has air conditioning.

Well, my husband was at work and no one else in his family would have taken him, so that wasn't an option.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Well, my husband was at work and no one else in his family would have taken him, so that wasn't an option.

You and your husband should have talked to him about this before he bought the car. An inexperienced 19 year who walks into a used car place is like chumming the water for sharks.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I disagree. At 16 when I test drove my car, I knew that I had to have a mechanic inspect the car not affliated with the dealership....I was a teenager. Your BIL is an adult and an Idiot.

Anonymous 5

Unread post

As is they aren't required to fix hes out of luck. He should have tested it himself before buying.
The dealership told him it has air conditioning and it does. The as is means just that. He cant prove it didn't go out in the past 2 weeks anyways.
Locked Previous topicNext topic