The police wouldn’t slim Jim my car

Anonymous 1

Unread post

This happened a long time ago but an article I read earlier reminded me of this. I came out of Walmart with my son. He was about 18 months old at the time. I put him in his car seat and buckled him in. Then put my stuff in the cargo area of my suv. I shut the hatch. Then realized I put my purse on the front seat with the keys inside and the car was locked. I went to him and tried to get him to push the lever up for the lock but of course he was laughing and didn’t understand. It was a warm day. After 5 minutes or so I called the police. They came but refused to try and unlock my car even with him in there. After me pleading they suggested I call a locksmith which I did. Took a long time for them to come but eventually they got the door open. I’m wondering if with today’s problem of kids being left in hot cars would the police do anything today. I don’t know.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

They would probably knocked the window out if it was that serious with a kid locked in a hot car.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:39 pm They would probably knocked the window out if it was that serious with a kid locked in a hot car.
That is what they do here. They key punch a front window. Car owner is responsible for repairs.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our car has automatic locks. If the keys are in the car it won’t lock. However I’d break my own window if my child were locked in!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Why didnt you break a window on the opposite side of the car?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Unless I was worried for my child's safety I would have called the locksmith to begin with. I would have told them it's an emergency since my child is locked in the vehicle. And if I was that concerned about my child overheating before they got there I would have broken a window myself. I don't understand why you would call the police for this.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:58 pm Why didnt you break a window on the opposite side of the car?
Because it wasn’t that serious of a situation...yet. It was about 70 degrees. He was fine for a while. Obviously it was a 90 degree day I would have.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:02 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:58 pm Why didnt you break a window on the opposite side of the car?
Because it wasn’t that serious of a situation...yet. It was about 70 degrees. He was fine for a while. Obviously it was a 90 degree day I would have.
but it was serious enough to call police? Really? The police are not AAA
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I can not imagine failing so much as a parent.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I don't think it would have occurred to me to call the police for that. I would have called DH to come with his keys, or called a locksmith. If it was too hot and I couldn't wait any longer, I'd break the window.
Locked Previous topicNext topic