8 out of the top ten 10 are "Blue" states

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 am
KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm My big blue State didn't make this list until a republican Governor was elected.

:lol:
morgan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

It’s interesting that OP and her like-minded-peeps don’t seem to live in any of these wonderful “blue” states.
Makes sense, actually
Although Baltimore needs a lot of help still!
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonadon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 am If you’re talking about my comment, I stand behind it. States where everything ranks worst or near worst are all poor southern states. They’re my definition of shit hole. You don’t have to agree, and pointing out hard truths doesn’t necessarily mean division. Is pointing out that I think VT is a great state divisive? Of course not. If some states are on the top, some will be on the bottom.

Also, I don’t have a political party, so it’s not about that.
morgan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 pm
Poietes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 pm My state I believe is #20. And you know what. I’m happy with that. Like another said, happiness is really subjective. What makes one happy makes others miserable. This a a great place to live with wonderful people and it’s a great place to raise a family. There are parts of this state however that I would never dream of living. So even different parts of the same state are going to be brings different things.
For people to say “nahah my state is for my party and therefore better” and then to state that the bottom few are “shit holes” just reinforces who are the divisive ones.
This reminds me of the times that Trump called other countries shitholes and said we should vote for him because we are uneducated, jobless and poor. People use stats and/or studies to back "hard truths" to excuse divisive and offensive behavior.

Mississippi (for example) has been ranked in the top 20 for quality of life/natural enviroment, so it really is subjective. I'm not a big fan of up north or too far West, but that is just my preference. Doesn't mean that they are bad and shitty states.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Honestly, I think it is a mistake to make state rank a political issue or overly dwell on it. I can only speak from my experience but a part of the reason why minority voter turn out is low in some southern states is because they feel neither side gives a f**k about them.

Its much better to encourage people to break the cycle and it doens't matter if the odds are stacked against them vs. facilitating a shaming/insulting enviroment that discourages.

In my nearly 40 years of living in the south, I have never seen that strategy work out well.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

morgan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm Very interesting. I've recently been considering Washington State as a place to relocate. We like a coastal area, with lots of outdoor activities but within a drive to a major city. Bainbridge Island looks very enticing. Anyone live there?
I love WAState. It's beautiful. I'd love to live along the coast but we have already laid our roots deep with 3 kids.

OT but since you asked: I have family leaving both Seattle and Portland because of the homeless issues. I told them both it's no better here, California, or anywhere in the West for that matter. The East buses them out in droves and drops them off because the temperature is milder and it's legal (in most places) or allowed/tolerated to "camp" AKA pitch a tent and live in it along public property.
I love Portland. Its on my list of favorite cities to visit.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am I'm in Georgia..
#17 overall..
Health care- 39
Education-30 ( I homeschool for a reason)
Economy- 11 ( I believe it due to the building boom here)
Infrastructure-10 ( HAHAHAHAHA!! BS!)
Opportunity-21
Fiscal Stability-9
Crime and Corrections- 27 ( Atlanta.. need I say more?!)
Natural Environment- 20 ( Atlanta is taking over the universe.. it encompasses 39 counties already)
Atlanta is nice, especially the Marietta area.
Deleted User 969

Unread post

DB00DF0E-7734-48DC-A1EC-C601B74633EB.jpeg
Forgive me if I’m missing it, but all I see MS scoring higher in is environment. Everything else (other than middling crime) is the absolute bottom; as bad as it gets.

You glossed over the question I asked about is saying VT is a great state (no, I don’t live there) divisive? Is it only divisive when pointing out the states one doesn’t like? If so, why?

I hate the south. I’m pretty open about my disdain.

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 pm
Anonadon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 am If you’re talking about my comment, I stand behind it. States where everything ranks worst or near worst are all poor southern states. They’re my definition of shit hole. You don’t have to agree, and pointing out hard truths doesn’t necessarily mean division. Is pointing out that I think VT is a great state divisive? Of course not. If some states are on the top, some will be on the bottom.

morgan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 pm

For people to say “nahah my state is for my party and therefore better” and then to state that the bottom few are “shit holes” just reinforces who are the divisive ones.
This reminds me of the times that Trump called other countries shitholes and said we should vote for him because we are uneducated, jobless and poor. People use stats and/or studies to back "hard truths" to excuse divisive and offensive behavior.

Mississippi (for example) has been ranked in the top 20 for quality of life/natural enviroment, so it really is subjective. I'm not a big fan of up north or too far West, but that is just my preference. Doesn't mean that they are bad and shitty states.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonadon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 pm DB00DF0E-7734-48DC-A1EC-C601B74633EB.jpeg

Forgive me if I’m missing it, but all I see MS scoring higher in is environment. Everything else (other than middling crime) is the absolute bottom; as bad as it gets.

You glossed over the question I asked about is saying VT is a great state (no, I don’t live there) divisive? Is it only divisive when pointing out the states one doesn’t like? If so, why?

I don’t have a strong opinion about VT and I’ve never lived there to comment.

Why do you have a distain for the south? Did you have a bad experience down here? I am seriously just asking. And I never said the state was perfect.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Anonadon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 pm DB00DF0E-7734-48DC-A1EC-C601B74633EB.jpeg

Why do you have a distain for the south? Did you have a bad experience down here? I am seriously just asking. And I never said the state was perfect.
I’ve been down south but not Mississippi. I think a lot of people might have a negative opinion because of reputation and movies. Missippi Burning, Four Little Girls, Selma, The Long Walk Home, The Murder of Emmet Till are some examples based on true events.

Now the southern states are trying to overturn Roe v Wade, something only religious fanatics would want. It’s like what is going on down there? Another issue is why aren’t southern states legalizing medical marijuana?
Deleted User 969

Unread post

I think you misunderstood. I wasn’t asking your opinion of Vermont itself; I was asking if it’s divisive to say I think a state is great, or only to say one is bad.

I dislike much about the south: the religious right, the heat, the bugs, country music, the food, the slow pace, the dearth of great schools, gun prevalence, the fake politeness, etc.. It’s just not for me, and I’ve given it a fair shake.
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 pm

mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have lived in Atlanta almost all of my life. ( we spent 4 years in ND with the USAF) I have seen it grow from a small metro area to what it is today. I swear it keeps increasing in size. Marietta is on the other end of the world from where I am due to traffic. We are going up to see friends tomorrow and will be in Marietta. We are meeting them for breakfast at he Marietta Diner at 9 so we have to leave around 7:30ish to get there. We are on the south side of Atlanta about 20 miles south of Hartsfield Jackson.
While there are great areas here, we have a higher crime concentration in metro Atlanta than most of the country. I love living here, but there are things that stink about it...the majority of schools, infrastructure- they keep building crap and never fix the roads to accomodate the new traffic, crime, and well the city takes up the majority of the state.

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:06 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am I'm in Georgia..
#17 overall..
Health care- 39
Education-30 ( I homeschool for a reason)
Economy- 11 ( I believe it due to the building boom here)
Infrastructure-10 ( HAHAHAHAHA!! BS!)
Opportunity-21
Fiscal Stability-9
Crime and Corrections- 27 ( Atlanta.. need I say more?!)
Natural Environment- 20 ( Atlanta is taking over the universe.. it encompasses 39 counties already)
Atlanta is nice, especially the Marietta area.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic