Living Alone Spin Off

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I"m definitely going to encourage my kid to move out and live either alone or with a roommate (not someone they are dating). Let's face it housing prices are currently outrageous and I'm not sure they could afford a studio on their own. There's a lot to learn like how to manage a house, finances, what they're willing to deal with from others,etc.

I was living on my own when I met my hubby. My sister has lived with our parents or a spouse, never alone. My sister has been divorced and remarried (and lives on the same property as our parents now) and I'm still with my hubby.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My first place after home, I lived with my best friend. We had a BLAST. I'd encourage that too.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm one of the ones who's never lived alone. I would completely encourage my kids to live by themselves first before committing to and moving in with someone else. I would also completely encourage them to date around a lot and "try out" different people before deciding who to spend their life with, should they choose to spend it with someone.

Obviously it's their choice, but if they ask me my opinion that is what i will tell them. Sometimes I think I made a mistake jumping into commitment and never living on my own so fast. I wouldn't want them to make the same mistake.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don’t think it would bother me if one of my kids never lived alone. Example my DD lives with us or a roommate until she gets married. It wouldn’t cross my mind to tell her to live alone first.
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I never actually lived alone. I lived in dorms and then out in apartments with my best friend, until I moved in with DH. I think it gave me the same skills that living alone would have. I would encourage my kids to live "on their own", with roommates that are not their significant others before cohabitating with a partner. We live in a pretty high cost of living area and living alone, while a great idea, is just not feasible for everyone.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I definitely think people should live alone for a while.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I moved out of the parents house at 20 and straight into an apartment with my boyfriend and we had another roommate and we all split the bills 3 ways. I don't regret that at all. I know that I would have been too afraid to live on my own.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dh and I both were raised to stay home until marriage. We both went to the local college and lived at home until he joined the USAF. Then, naturally he had "roommates" at basic training. I stayed home until we got married and then after he graduated from tech school a couple of months later we moved out of state.
We are encouraging our girls to stay at home until they are 18 and then move into the dorms at college. This will give them life experience and prepare them for living on their own. Dh and I didn't have that, but we made the transition very easily as we had been together since we were 16 and got married at 20. Once they are in college, it will be their decision on their living arrangements...unless we are paying for it and then we will have a tiny bit of veto power in regards to finances.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would definitely encourage my son to live alone before getting married. When you are the only one responsible for paying your bills, cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc it builds character.

I can't imagine not having that experience. It seems codependent and childish to not being able to make it on your own. I think it will be a huge shock to married couples when one spouse dies, and the surviving spouse has never lived on their own.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

If you've never completely taken care of your own self, I think you are less prepared for a marriage than one who has.
Locked Previous topicNext topic