Dealing with an obese teen

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:27 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm What are her interest or hobbies? You can't eat if your you doing activities. If she doesn't have any get her into a club or group. Hunting, fishing, track, cheerleading, dance, yoga, gardening, something to get out and active. Some people eat out of boredom.
She plays a lot of video games and she does a lot of art too. Nothing active though unfortunately - she's always joked that she only goes outside in video games and never in real life if she can help it! I will try to get her interested in something but I wouldn't give it very good odds. Trying to keep her active has been the losing battle of a decade now... just getting her to walk ten minutes to school was a major victory on that front, and she still sometimes gets the bus when she's feeling lazy.
Maybe have her see a counselor to rule out depression or other issues. Or go to overeaters anon. I mean I'm 5'2 and 200. I've been pretty active except the last two weeks from this cold. I'm trying to get under 200 so I have a fitbit and I work out. I can't imagine being 300. I lost ten pounds and already my knees feel better. And I lost it simply by portion control. I still eat anything just much less of it. It sucks to measure things but oh well. Maybe if she realizes she can have what she wants just less of it that will help. Maybe if you tell her walk Idk 4000 steps today on a fitbit you win video game time.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yogamom55 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:06 pm
Yogamom55 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:03 pm

It's way past baby fat. You are being an enabler.
Well that's what I'm trying to sort out... stopping enabling her unhealthy habits so she can lose some weight.
Make her start walking with you. Get healthier together, you know?
That's a nice idea. It's been a long time since we just went on a walk together. Maybe she'll even enjoy being outside, lol.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

One of the worse things my mother did was ignore my weight gain and then when I got really big blame it on me for being lazy and my eating habits. I wasnt lazy nor did I have bad eating habits. I only ate what she bought me and we were not allowed to eat junk food as much as other kids I grew up with did. Had she taken me to the Dr and gotten my weight checked out, we would have found out much sooner that my weight gain was due to a thyroid disease that needed to be treated. It would have also saved me from a lot of mental anguish and self esteem issues because *I* knew I wasnt being lazy and was doing all that I could to not gain weight, but she would basically call me a liar and put me on diets that never worked and were harmful to my body. And her motivation tactics didnt help either.. the whole " if you don't stop eating so much we are going to have to hire someone to cut you out of the house, youre getting as big as the house" FYI that kind of "motivation" never works, it only makes it worse. GL I hope you find out whats going on with her soon.
Locked Previous topicNext topic