Can someone explain this to me?

Deleted User 172

Unread post

Someone I know needs a knee replacement surgery. She is moderately overweight and had been doing PT since the beginning of the year every other day or so to try to NOT have the knee replacement surgery. She has to have fluid on her knee drained once a week or so and gets all kinds of shots to try to keep her knees from being replaced.
Within the last month she has also started running 3 miles a day with some group.
I don't get it.
Can someone please explain to me why someone with such knee issues take up running out of nowhere?
I just don't get it.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maybe she thinks the running will get the weight off and strengthen her legs? Did she talk it over with her PT?
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk except my father was told strengthening exercises were good for his knee. He probably needs a replacement himself. I would recommend a knee brace for this woman when she runs. However as long as her orthopedist and PT are okay with the running I'm not sure it will cause a problem.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Exercise is good but if your knees already hurt then running is going to make them worse I'd think. There is a lot of pressure being put on her knew. Walking would be much better.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Probably because losing weight will help take a bit of the burden off her knees. I would assume it's been cleared with the appropriate people.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Maybe the hyaluronic acid shots she's been getting in her knee are finally helping. I have arthritis in one knee and nothing at first was helping. The pain was so bad I needed an off-loading knee brace just to be able to walk without pain. It took 3 courses of the hyaluronic acid shots (every 6 months) to finally help. I haven't had any shots in about 4 or 5 years but I take gelatin and bone broth powder every day for my knee. I don't wear my knee brace either.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 pm Maybe the hyaluronic acid shots she's been getting in her knee are finally helping. I have arthritis in one knee and nothing at first was helping. The pain was so bad I needed an off-loading knee brace just to be able to walk without pain. It took 3 courses of the hyaluronic acid shots (every 6 months) to finally help. I haven't had any shots in about 4 or 5 years but I take gelatin and bone broth powder every day for my knee. I don't wear my knee brace either.
Based on what I know she's getting worse.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am Probably because losing weight will help take a bit of the burden off her knees. I would assume it's been cleared with the appropriate people.
See I don't think it has been cleared with her PT doctor. She keeps saying they dont know why she's not getting better.

I get the PT doc recommending walking but running a times 3 mile run? Weird.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am Probably because losing weight will help take a bit of the burden off her knees. I would assume it's been cleared with the appropriate people.
See I don't think it has been cleared with her PT doctor. She keeps saying they dont know why she's not getting better.

I get the PT doc recommending walking but running a times 3 mile run? Weird.
Well it's not the first time someone wasn't honest with their doctor. She should come clean, if that's the case.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic