"Just a minute"

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:29 am At the time that you are asking them, what are they doing?
Trying to avoid cleaning by challenging his sister to a yugioh duel. (I still have his deck, since he wouldn't listen to me)

Trying to watch some dumb thing on YouTube. (I ended up taking her phone)

Having a conversation with the guinea pigs.

Basically anything to avoid cleaning.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Try this:

If it's 5:00 pm, say "At 5:05pm, if you have not started X as I've asked you to, I'm taking away your laptop, iPad, computer, game, (whatever it is that they are currently engrossed with)."

And just as an experiment...The next time your kids ask you for their attention and you say, "in a minute", see how long it takes you to give them your attention. (I'm not condoning them putting you off. I'm just saying, make sure you lead by example.)
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:36 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:29 am At the time that you are asking them, what are they doing?
Trying to avoid cleaning by challenging his sister to a yugioh duel. (I still have his deck, since he wouldn't listen to me)

Trying to watch some dumb thing on YouTube. (I ended up taking her phone)

Having a conversation with the guinea pigs.

Basically anything to avoid cleaning.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can get over the in a minute. It's ' Moommm I KNOW' that makes me want to toss him out a window. If you KNOW then DO IT. Then he wonders why I yell. Um because if I don't it won't get done?
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That would fly like a lead balloon in my house. My kids try that with me, and whatever they're on at the time gets confiscated. When Mom or Dad tell you to do something, you do it. Period.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 am I generally don't mind if my kids say "just a minute" to me because honestly I say the same thing all the time. If one of the kids needs me for something I'll say "just a minute" to finish up whatever it is and then I'm there. Same thing to DH too. Now when I say it, it literally means a minute or two. What my kids have gotten bad about is if we give them a chore to finish and then 3 hours later it's still not done because they've procrastinated so long. So we are trying to teach them the benefits of doing it right away. Again, I'm a master of procrastination so I don't really get mad at them. I'm just trying to teach it out of them.

So I KNOW where my kids get these bad habits from. It's me. So the question is where did your kids pick up these habits? Is the answer potentially in the mirror?
No, when something needs to get done I just do it and get it over with. Their dad on the other hand will procrastinate until the last possible second.
Well there you go. They likely learned it from their dad. Look no further than your mate.

My DH and I are the opposite. DH is like you in that if something needs to be done he gets it done and out of the way right away. I'm the procrastinator and will put it off. It annoys DH but he just deals with it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic