Update - The teacher didn’t grade her work

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Dd is in 10th grade. One of her classes is commercial art.

The week after the quarter ended, the teacher reminded the class that their work needed to be printed out for it to be graded. Dd printed out her work and put it in the bin.

The end of following week, her work hadn’t been graded. Dd spoke to her teacher and was told that she hadn’t gotten to it yet but she would grade it.

The end of the next week, still no grades. Dd sent her teacher an email asking about it. No response.

Today (a week later), she talked to her teacher and was told that grades were already finalized and there was nothing she could do about it now.

One of seven assignments got graded. Dd got an F (10%) for the quarter and cannot mathematically pass the semester.

I’m just dumbfounded. I’m calling her guidance counselor in the morning. But, right now, I’m dumbfounded.

Thoughts?

Update:

I tried to email the teacher Thursday night (the night I made the op) but I kept coming across as accusatory, so I deleted it.

Friday morning, I called and left a message for the Academic Dean. He called me back today and I explained what happened to him. He told me he would talk to the teacher and let my dd know if they could fix it.

He explained DD’s side to the teacher and she is going to grade the work. (Dd needs to turn it in again.)

(I didn’t explain very well in my op: the first time dd spoke to the teacher, dd tried to make sure she had done what she needed to do, and was told everything was fine. At that point she could have turned it in again if there was a problem.)

For those who suggested that she hates my dd or i think she’s just out to screw someone: I don’t think that. My dd loves this class and teacher. This is DD’s 2nd year in her class the impression I get is that the teacher is probably incredibly disorganized.

As for what happened to the work she turned in ... 🤷‍♀️
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Did you email the teacher? Maybe your kid lied? It happens.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Have dd show you the email she sent the teacher.
Talk to the teacher and get her side of the story before ripping her a new one
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Shaken1976 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:14 pm Did you email the teacher? Maybe your kid lied? It happens.
I didn’t email the teacher.

Kids lie, I get that. I’ve caught my kid in a lie before. But I’m sure she’s not lying. If she was, she would have come clean when I told her I was going to call the guidance counselor. At the very least, this is the way she perceived the events.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 pm Have dd show you the email she sent the teacher.
Dd sent me a copy when she sent the email.

What is the point of talking to the teacher if she really can do anything about it now? Honestly, I wouldn’t know what to say...
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Did she put her NAME on her assignment?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sounds like this is something that can be sorted out.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Are you saying that of 7 assignments in this marking period the teacher only graded ONE?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 pm
One of seven assignments got graded. Dd got an F (10%) for the quarter and cannot mathematically pass the semester.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 pm Have dd show you the email she sent the teacher.
Dd sent me a copy when she sent the email.

What is the point of talking to the teacher if she really can do anything about it now? Honestly, I wouldn’t know what to say...
To 1. Find out if your kid is being truthful which you said she seems to be and to find out what happened. Our online parents school site sometimes acts stupid or isn't accurate with grades. I'd ask before I went in all in an uproar.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In 10th grade, I would tell her this is her problem to solve and she needs to meet with a higher up at school. Why did she wait this longer if this has been happening all semester?
Locked Previous topicNext topic