Does anyone else not give

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

gifts for Easter? My kids get a basket, but it just has a handful of candy in it and they use it for the egg hunt, which are regular hardboiled eyed eggs. My seven year old just came in from playing and said "Ryan got a video game for Easter." I said "That's nice for Ryan." He said "how come other kids get toys for Easter and we don't?"

I said "That's how their families want to celebrate the holiday. Different families celebrate things differently. Some get toys, some get candy, some don't celebrate at all and it's just another day for them. Did Ryan get money for new years? Does he get gifts for Children's Day? No? So, lucky you. There will be times when you will get things that other kids don't and there will be times when other kids get things that you don't."

He was fine with that. It just got me thinking and it seems like more families are treating Easter like another Christmas. Which is fine, I'm not judging at all, just noticing that it's become more common than when I was a kid.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Which one of those cute dresses did you end up wearing Oli?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

When I only had one child I gave gifts. Now with 4 and with 3 of their birthdays all being within a month of each other and Easter in the middle they are good lol.
RedBottoms

Unread post

My mom did mostly toys like Barbies or books and candy
I used to do mostly toys. I don't like doing a shit ton of candy. Now I may do nothing.

I have been taking them on all kinds of trips and experiences so that is their gift
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We don't celebrate Easter period so no gifts, no baskets etc. I mean, I might make a ham for dinner but that's because they are pretty cheap right up until Easter and it gives me an idea of what to cook that I didn't have to think about. It's kind of disturbing to me how Easter has essentially become "Second Christmas" Kids really don't need all the candy and junk that comes with it and in my opinion it downplays the origins of the Holiday.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They received a beach bag with a swim suit, beach towel, flip flops, beach toys, candy and a few other things
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We do small gifts like you would put in a stocking at Christmas with some candy. We spend no more than $15 per kid.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I did small trinkets mostly. anything to avoid candy.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My kids get a very small amount of candy. They get enough candy from other places I don't need to get them a lot. They always get a book and then some little summer stuff. Like they used to get bubbles and chalk when they were younger. This year they each got a small nerf gun and a head lamp for camping or walking around at night.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I gave my oldest a small gift. He's not that fond of chocolate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic