Scientific Study shows white liberals condescend to blacks

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 am
water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 pm I can't even with this article. I just can't. Researchers literally tested people based on their political leaning. Right. This doesn't seem biased at all or anything.
its not the only article reporting on the Study's findings.
The authors , Cydney Dupree, an assistant professor of organizational behavior at Yale University, and Susan Fiske, a psychology professor at Princeton University, described the phenomenon as “competence downshifting.”

here are more articles:

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... tends.html

https://www.wnpr.org/post/study-white-l ... ack-people

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -contends/
Idk maybe it is an effort to get along with minorities. I've been accused, by an uneducated white coworker, of using big words and being uppity because I'm college educated and he's a hs dropout. Personally I feel I'm speaking to him as I would anyone. I told him so ask me what you don't understand because I assume you do otherwise. I speak how i speak get over it. So the next study should be if white people also do this to whites based on perceived socio economical status. Also I would wonder if the liberal is patterning his or her speech based on the region. Southern rural blacks and whites use simpler speech than probably do those in the suburbs of Boston. I probably do that myself especially at work with clients. They have to understand what we're doing so I might try to mirror their speech. I consider myself a moderate.
I disagree with your coworker, you don’t come off condescending at all IMHO.

You make a good point. I have been treated like I’m a stupid Mississippi girl when I’ve done business with a few people outside of the south and so has my white counterparts. I do think people should be mindful of that.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:10 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:45 am It's actually a pretty interesting study. I don't necessarily think it's some nefarious liberal plot to treat POC as incompetent; it's probably more like a desire to be seen as an ally. But it could still be detrimental. The follow up studies she suggests could be very informative.
Interesting point 👍🏼. Where you think that the desire to be an ally comes from?

Not meaning to be a smart ass, just interested in another point of view.

But what do you think the desire to be allies comes from?
I can only speak for myself, my experience has shown me first hand that you are treated very differently, often with hostility, in you are in the minority. I do make a conscious effort to be friendly under certain circumstances, like seeing a lone POC at an event, or in line at a store, or at the playground. A kind greeting or even just acknowledgement of your presence with a simple hello can go a long way.
You’re right. When I mentored it was helpful for the kids to see that not all white people are racist assholes. It helps with the “I’m doomed so why try?” perception, if that makes sense.

There should be a balance between identifying racism and understanding that not everyone falls under the category. Exposure to White people who don’t feel that way, really does go a long way.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am
water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 pm
7byher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Yea, it sounded very biased.
no, it was a study's findings. if Yale is biased, it is biased to the left.

The authors , Cydney Dupree, an assistant professor of organizational behavior at Yale University, and Susan Fiske, a psychology professor at Princeton University, described the phenomenon as “competence downshifting.”
Not sure I understand you, are you saying that is a study was done at Yale it is inhierently "left" biased? Not sure why you would assume that, since many influential conservatives graduated from Yale.

The study seems to conclude that self-identified liberals make a stronger attempt to connect to people outside their own background, and may make themselves appear less competent in doing so. Not that they talk down to anyone.

“People who are more likely to identify as liberal end up downshifting their competence when responding to black interaction partners or mostly minority audiences, selecting words that would make them appear less competent.

And so it’s possible that white liberals are trying to get along with racial minorities and do so by perhaps unintentionally using stereotypes, but they’re the ones who are more likely to actually try to forge these connections.”
yes I am. Just because conservative have graduated from there doesn't mean squat. Ben Shapiro graduated from Harvard and advises conservative students to "hide" their beliefs in order to do well. the person I quoted was trying to say my source was biased, I am pointing out if anything Yale is not biased in conservatives' favor.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/y ... aily-news/

"Nearly 75 percent of faculty respondents described themselves as “liberal” or “very liberal,” with only 7 percent reporting conservative leanings. Just 2 percent of respondents said they are “very conservative.” And nearly the entire faculty expressed opposition to the administration of President Donald Trump."

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/09/ ... vey-shows/
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 pm Image
Far from triggered... I am having a hell of a time even bringing myself to care enough to respond when certain people post anymore...

It's just tiring...going around in this "how should we insult each other today" merry-go-round gets to be pretty old after a while.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 pm
Far from triggered... I am having a hell of a time even bringing myself to care enough to respond when certain people post anymore...

It's just tiring...going around in this "how should we insult each other today" merry-go-round gets to be pretty old after a while.
not everyone is triggered, but the 1st page all I received were some enraged people attacking me and the source but ignoring the study itself. for some reason the very notion of this being true sure did trigger some people.

I think this probably boils down to white guilt and paranoia honestly.many Liberals fee guilty for being white and try to over compensate by not being themselves around minorities. then the left is living in a hyperstate of paranoia that everything is offensive, even inventing the concept of "micro aggressions". Many dont live with nonwhites or have social relationships with them so they are awkward and play into stereotypes to try to endear themselves and to be accepted- which whether they realize it or not is condescending.

conservatives mostly dont feel guilty for being white, feel bad about all of the injustice of the past but accept it was that way for all of human history, not specific to whites and its OVER. tHEY basically see everyone as equal NOW, today, therefore they treat them as equal and don't change their behavior or how they talk around them. they aren't virtue signalling or seeking approval. they treat people as individuals.

collectivism vs. individualism
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 pm

not everyone is triggered, but the 1st page all I received were some enraged people attacking me and the source but ignoring the study itself. for some reason the very notion of this being true sure did trigger some people.

I think this probably boils down to white guilt and paranoia honestly.many Liberals fee guilty for being white and try to over compensate by not being themselves around minorities. then the left is living in a hyperstate of paranoia that everything is offensive, even inventing the concept of "micro aggressions". Many dont live with nonwhites or have social relationships with them so they are awkward and play into stereotypes to try to endear themselves and to be accepted- which whether they realize it or not is condescending.

conservatives mostly dont feel guilty for being white, feel bad about all of the injustice of the past but accept it was that way for all of human history, not specific to whites and its OVER. tHEY basically see everyone as equal NOW, today, therefore they treat them as equal and don't change their behavior or how they talk around them. they aren't virtue signalling or seeking approval. they treat people as individuals.

Eh... I don’t think so . I’m a liberal who’s never felt guilt for anything I didn’t personally do. I can say “I’m sorry that happened “ but if I didn’t do it, I don’t feel guilty for it.

I don’t think everyone is treated equally, but I think it’s a much more complex issue that includes education level and financial situations.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Since I posted on the first page..

I initially posted 2 short sentences and likely wouldn’t have posted anymore if you didn’t quote me. Which is OK, more than welcomed to do so but that’s not triggered.

I don’t triggered over internet stuff.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Except it's not over, they don't treat everyone as equals and your own article said it was hard to find speeches where conservatives spoke to minority groups.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Since I posted on the first page..

I initially posted 2 short sentences and likely wouldn’t have posted anymore if you didn’t quote me. Which is OK, more than welcomed to do so but that’s not triggered.

I don’t triggered over internet stuff.
well, I wasn't thinking of you, but you did seem to zoom in on Candace Owens, which was not the meat of the issue. the Post was about a scientific study. the study itself was just ignored by most people or they ridiculously tried to claim the study was biased lol. A study by a nonwhite woman at a highly liberal skewed institution is most likely not a conservative conspiracy 😏
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Except it's not over, they don't treat everyone as equals and your own article said it was hard to find speeches where conservatives spoke to minority groups.
there will always be individual racism and if we all some how become one race, there will be classicism or some kind of demographic hierarchy. Look at the caste system in India for an example. But for the most part, in general, we are not a racist society. all races have equal protection under the law, there is NO "institutional racism". People of all races can do all things.

in the study, conservatives addressed black people and white people and did not change how they interacted.
Locked Previous topicNext topic