If you have state testing do you or can you opt your children out?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm in NY state and we have state testing for grades 3-8 and then they take mandatory regents tests from grades 9-12 in various subjects which they have to pass to graduate. Opting out of state testing has recently become a popular thing. I've never opted my daughter out as I feel like it's great practice for the mandatory exams she will be taking and these tests have no major effect on her personally right now. It also helped us to realize the areas that she was struggling in math. She was average in math and the teacher never said she was struggling with anything because of it nor did she grade homework. When I was a child we could never opt out of state tests nor would parents ever allow that. So if you have state testing or if you did would you opt your children out or do you if they have them?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

DS just took the PSAT last week, its just a practice test for the SAT next year. We never opt out for state testing but mine do well on tests.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

We have state testing in various grades. The only one that really counts for anything is Grade 10 since you have to be “proficient” to graduate. I never opted out because it was good practice but I also took the stress off my daughter when she was younger by telling her it was important until sophomore year.

Personally, I find these tests stupid. The were originally conceived to gauge/measure teachers abilities but evolved into something else.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 pm I'm in NY state and we have state testing for grades 3-8 and then they take mandatory regents tests from grades 9-12 in various subjects which they have to pass to graduate. Opting out of state testing has recently become a popular thing. I've never opted my daughter out as I feel like it's great practice for the mandatory exams she will be taking and these tests have no major effect on her personally right now. It also helped us to realize the areas that she was struggling in math. She was average in math and the teacher never said she was struggling with anything because of it nor did she grade homework. When I was a child we could never opt out of state tests nor would parents ever allow that. So if you have state testing or if you did would you opt your children out or do you if they have them?
There has been state testing since I was in school !( in the 1950’s)
For example, a comprehensive English exam that determined where students were placed- basic or advanced English classes . Also math exams.
It’s normal and it’s helpful. It shouldn’t be a traumatic event in a child’s life.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I homeschool and I am required to test every 3 years starting in 3rd grades. I test every year so that I do not forget. We are not allowed to opt out. When the girls were in private school we were not allowed to opt out then either.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don't know but I would if I could. It's all a sham, even the teachers and principals in my kids school district think so too.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DS took mock SOLs this week and will take the real SOLs next month.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:08 pm I don't know but I would if I could. It's all a sham, even the teachers and principals in my kids school district think so too.
No, it’s not.
It’s very helpful.
And necessary.
honeyrder
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I could opt out of the testing, but it's hardly fatal. My kids kill that shit every year though. So it's basically not telling anyone what they didn't know already.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

We can't opt out or I would.
Locked Previous topicNext topic