Is this just a stage?

Yogamom55
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My son is almost 10. He's also autistic, but i dont think that matters in this situation.

Anything his dad or I tell him is met with an arguement. It's like he can't fathom that we know more than him or his friends.

Is this normal? Just a stage that will pass?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Welcome to the tweens. The older they get, the mouthier they get. It'll pass in about 8 1/2- 9 years.
Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes. It’s a stage. I believe it’s called “being 10”.

Nip that crap in the bud now - otherwise it lasts all through the teenage years and will make you want to sell the kid to the circus.

Good luck.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A really long stage. And yeah - ASD, ADHD, etc it doesn't matter (although it might heighten the responses) it's a tween thing.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Yes, it's a phase. Depending on the kids, it may last quite a while, though. lol. My nephew is turning 21 and still knows absolutely everything about everything.

I'm hoping my 14 year old ages out of it a little sooner. He's not as bad as my nephew, but has his moments. Mostly just about a few topics but one of them is politics. lol
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Welcome to puberty and the tween years.. Ten is the magical age where kids " know it all" and adults are morons. LOL
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

10 year olds are assholes.

I could tell my son the grass is green and he'd argue that it was blue just to argue.
Yogamom55
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Donnie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am Yes. It’s a stage. I believe it’s called “being 10”.

Nip that crap in the bud now - otherwise it lasts all through the teenage years and will make you want to sell the kid to the circus.

Good luck.
Im trying to stop it. How did you do it?
Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yogamom55 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:54 am
Donnie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am Yes. It’s a stage. I believe it’s called “being 10”.

Good luck.
Im trying to stop it. How did you do it?
I never did - nothing I tried worked. I sold her to the circus.

My neighbors stopped it with “that is not an acceptable way to speak to people, go sit on your bed and figure out an appropriate way to say that.” (I want to say it took about 6 months.)

A friend sort of stopped it by taking away video games. That was only partially effective because she wasn’t willing to remove the game system entirely and every time she let him play, the sassy mouth came back. (This lasted from 10 years old until he moved out at 19.)

My ex-SIL stopped it with my nephew by ignoring him every time. He stopped talking to her that way, but still behaves that way with my brother (his father), who gets sucked in and argues with him.

My kid grew out of it at 14.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Think back to when you were that age... didn't you think you knew more than your parents did?

Locked Previous topicNext topic