Emotional abuse

RedBottoms

Unread post

So somewhat discussed on the other topic-what do you think is emotional abuse? Do you recognize it as real abuse?

I feel like its the hardest to prove as there are no scars or bruises on the skin to see. There is often no witnesses like there could be for verbal abuse. Its usually very subtle small things over time that make the other person feel like they don't matter, that they are less than, they they are not approved of or loved.

But I think it can leave a HUGE internal scar.

What do you think is emotional abuse? How should it be dealt with?

Are there levels? Like what might be fine and dandy to one person could cause a lot of issues for another person.

I heard emotional abuse referred to as death by a thousand paper cuts and that to me is a very accurate description. Its nothing big. Its nothing visible. But its tiny things all over that end up bleeding you to death over time.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Emotional abuse is far worse than physical abuse because many victims begin to normalize their partner’s behavior. It's much easier to make excuses for abuse if there is no physical evidence, creating a cycle which is difficult to escape and causes many victims to blame themselves for their partner’s misconduct.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Is your DH abusing you?
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Your red text makes my eyes twitch.

Other than that, you're right.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Me???? Sorry but at least it isn't font 4 or 7 like on Cafemom, lol
mojogirl wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm Your red text makes my eyes twitch.

Other than that, you're right.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is about control.
Making someone feel small so you feel better, threats, name calling, mind games, screaming, verbal assault.

I of course think it’s real abuse.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Your in-laws didn’t emotionally abuse you red
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm Is your DH abusing you?
No. My father did. My mother did to a smaller degree
RedBottoms

Unread post

SeeYouNextTuesday wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm Your in-laws didn’t emotionally abuse you red
not according to my therapist
Anonymous 2

Unread post

As someone who has lived through actual emotional abuse... you should be ashamed of yourself
Locked Previous topicNext topic