Dealing with an obese teen

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I've never worried too much about DD's weight in the past. I always just sort of assumed that as she grew up and went through puberty most of her extra weight would drop off, but it just hasn't happened. The last couple of years especially she just seems to be putting on weight with no end in sight so I think it's time to really step in.
She's fifteen, nearly sixteen, and five foot two. I don't know exactly how much she weighs, she won't tell me that sort of thing anymore, but I'd guess maybe as much as three hundred pounds.

How do I even start going about addressing this? It's never been something I've had to think about before, and she's so used to be able to eat what she wants, when she wants, that I don't know how she'll react to a healthier diet or an exercise plan or whatever.
Thanks!
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'd probably start with her doctor and go from there.

Good luck!
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I found the best way to raise healthy eaters and physically active children is to be that person myself.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Work with her doctor on the weight loss.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm I'd probably start with her doctor and go from there.

Good luck!
Her doctor gave me some pamphlets and advice when we last went. It was that visit that really got me thinking actually. He did not mince his words at all, it was frightening some of the stuff that he said.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Start with Doctor and changing diet.Just don't BUY the unhealthy foods anymore. No soda, no chips, etc. Replace it with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. She can't eat it if it's not in the house. If you eat out a lot try cutting back and making more meals at home and meal prepping for busy schedules so you can just toss something in the crock pot in the morning. In short the best way to help her is to have the WHOLE FAMILY start on eating healthier etc. If you've got dogs a good idea is to start walking them more.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm Start with Doctor and changing diet.Just don't BUY the unhealthy foods anymore. No soda, no chips, etc. Replace it with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. She can't eat it if it's not in the house. If you eat out a lot try cutting back and making more meals at home and meal prepping for busy schedules so you can just toss something in the crock pot in the morning. In short the best way to help her is to have the WHOLE FAMILY start on eating healthier etc. If you've got dogs a good idea is to start walking them more.
Thank you for the advice. One thing that makes it difficult is that she buys her own food a lot. She spends a lot of her allowance on snacks and junk food after school.
The rest of the family is mostly healthy. I could lose 10 pounds maybe but DH and DS are very slim.
owl0210
Countess
Countess

Unread post

300 lbs?! This didn’t happen overnight.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

owl0210 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm 300 lbs?! This didn’t happen overnight.
No not overnight... as I say she has always been heavy for her age but I always thought she would slim down during puberty. Instead though she's just put on weight faster.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

owl0210 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm 300 lbs?! This didn’t happen overnight.
I agree that the time for action was long before now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic