At what age do you expect the school to stop calling you?

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommy_jules wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:33 am Pros and Cons of it?
Mommy_jules wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 am

It's common here.
Hmmm...I'm not really sure. I mean the schools are set up like that because it is more economical. These schools are in small towns. So, in my opinion, the pros and cons would be similar to the pros and cons of living in a small town/rural area.

Limited resources
Limited classes you can take (Spanish was all the only foreign language offered at my school)
Small graduating classes (mine had 53 students), so you literally know everyone
Teachers teach multiple subjects and grades, also while being coaches or sponsors for clubs
As far as the combined school goes, you don't have to stress about starting a new school again. You don't have to go through the process of learning the new environment. As I said in my other post, 7 and 8 graders were kind of separated. They have their own break and lunches and the majority of their classes were on the bottom floor of the school. There wasn't much chance to socialize with the older students.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:07 am
Fullxbusymom wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:36 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 pm I had an issue where the school did not call me when my daughter (grade 7) injured herself - (baseball to the wrist bone) requiring a doctors visit - despite her telling multiple teachers that her hand was hurting, she couldn't write, etc - she was simply sent each period for a new ice pack and made to 'try' and write. She did not have a phone to call me herself.

She got in the car, showed me the bruising and minor swelling and I immediately started driving to the doctors. Halfway there - so now 3.30 at this point, the school called me to tell me about the injury and the incident form they had to complete. I asked them what time this had happened and they told me it had happened at about 9.20 that morning. I asked them why they hadn't called me earlier and it 'slipped their minds' because 'this is high school now' and 'they don't call for every little thing'. My kid's wrist is sprained! That's not a "little" thing.

So, obviously, my 13yo has a hand me down phone from her sister (thank god she doesn't ever throw anything out!) that she is now taking to and from school each day so she can tell me herself if these things happen- but; pretend giving your kid a phone isn't an option - how would you feel about this? Do you feel that the school is right that my daughter is old enough to just cope through the day with a sprained wrist until I pick her up at 3.30?

A sprain I wouldn't consider that a major big deal that they have to call me immediately. A break, stitches something that required immediate attention then that would be different. A doctor can't do anything about a sprain anyways.
Also - They can definetely do something for sprains. My DD has been given a removable cast to wear for 2 weeks to help it heal/rest/keep it from further injury.
That only is for discomfort and doesn't actually do anything to repair or fix the situation. Even if the school called I would probably be okay nurse feels it is a sprain tough it out for the day and we will get a brace when you get home.
Shell89
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

For something like that I’d say till they graduated, especially if they kept compaining. (Even when my kids were 18 I still had to sign permission slips for them) my oldest was a jr and the nurse called just to let me know that he had a bad bloody nose.
Still weird that they consider 7th grade high school. When I was in school my school was 6th-12th and it was a jr/sr high school so we were considered in jr high in 6,7 and 8th grade.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I had a similar issue with my dd in 7th grade which is middle school here. she broke her finger in gym in the morning. they did call me but not until after lunch when her finger had trippled in size they told me it was fine and didnt need me to come get her. they didnt even tell me how much it had swollen. i picked her up after school and imediatly took her to the drs cause it was much worse than they made me think and it was in fact broken. She had been to the nurses office 3 times that day. when i spoke to the nurse the next day she was so suprised that it had been broken. the only reason she even called me was because her teacher sent her to the nurse with a note saying to call me.

My ds never got hurt in middle school but in high school they would call me even after he turned 18. lol
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I would expect a call. I would also find it strange that my 13 year old didn't have one single friend whose cell phone she could use to call me. Situations like this are exactly why my kids had cell phones at 13, basic phones, but cell phones.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If there's an injury that requires a visit to the doctor, I wouldn't put an age limit on it. I would be upset with the school in this case.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If my child was hurt that bad I would expect them to tell the nurse to call me. My 7th grader had a horrible headache earlier this year and he had them call me to bring him some aspirin since they can’t administer it.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I would expect a call at any age as long as my child is in public school. Our district schools pay any expenses due to injury that happens on school grounds, field trip, away games, etc. This includes co-pays and deductibles. You're darn skippy they're quick to call parents if they think a trip to the doctor is warranted. At the least, there would be an incident report.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As I have told the nurse at the boys school aid rather be bothered than not! So in my opinion until they are paying for school I better get a call even if it’s trivial.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aside from the limited resources, I see all those things as PROS. :)

And I don't know why "anon" box keeps appearing checked off. I had to UNCHECK it from this response so that it's didn't post anon again!
Mommy_jules wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:33 am Pros and Cons of it?
Mommy_jules wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 am

It's common here.
Hmmm...I'm not really sure. I mean the schools are set up like that because it is more economical. These schools are in small towns. So, in my opinion, the pros and cons would be similar to the pros and cons of living in a small town/rural area.

Limited resources
Limited classes you can take (Spanish was all the only foreign language offered at my school)
Small graduating classes (mine had 53 students), so you literally know everyone
Teachers teach multiple subjects and grades, also while being coaches or sponsors for clubs
Locked Previous topicNext topic