When a parent gives you money to hold for the kid

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:32 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:59 pm

that is part of why I also just don't want them having full control of it. They buy a bunch of slushies and popcorn and candy and toys and then have no money left for actual food and then I end up buying them a burger anyway. I don't want that
At that age they can think through basic actions. If they blow their money on candy and toys and don't have enough for lunch, that is on them. I am not buying them things. One meal won't hurt them.
At that age, LOTS of kids can think through the predictable consequences of their actions. But some kids can't because they have never had the opportunity to do so. I'm not going to have kids in my care skipping meals for the sake of a teachable moment.
Than they will never learn.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I generally pay and send the kiddo home with their money.

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm So my son's friend basically invited himself along to go to Dollywood with us yesterday. I was fine with him coming but I told him he would need to bring at least $100 for his entrance fee and food. He showed up with $120. I held onto it since it was a $100 bill and a $20 and we were worried he would lose it.

I pay for him to get in with the $100 and it was about $84 with tax. We got mini pizzas for lunch which was about $6 or $7 a piece roughly. Then later we got ice cream which was probably $3 or $4 a piece. Then he wanted a caricature which was $16.50 roughly. Not sure if they charged me tax or not.

Now adding that up-It may not have been exactly $120. I was not keeping tabs of things to the penny because we are in an amusement park and I am also paying for other things with his etc. I did not give him any change back at the end of the day.

This is also a kid I pay for to eat or go places like the movies etc regularly. WAY more than his mom ever does for my kid in return. So whatever-it evens out.

I am taking like 4 other kids to Dollywood in a few weeks for a birthday celebration for my sons. So the question is-if the parents give me money-what should I do? I am paying for their entrance with guest passes so no one has to give me money for entrance fees. I am telling the parents if they want to send souvenir or food money they can-but I was planning on buying some food for everyone there and bringing some sandwiches etc for a picnic on the way back. But if the kids want excessive amounts of extra food they will need to pay for it. I can get everyone a meal and a treat like a pretzel or ice cream or a slushie or popcorn etc but I am not buying all of those for each kid.

So if a parent gives you money for a kid-do you let the kid keep it? Or do you try to tally everything up to the penny and return the change? Or do you just take it and buy them stuff and not worry about tallying it?

I typically just take it and buy the kid things and don't worry about tallying. I usually spend more than they send anyway in the long run.

Not sure what the most kosher way to do it is.

edited I also gave him $1 to feed the little crow at the end of the bird show that takes the money and puts it in the donation box. Cutest thing
and I gave him $2 for the giant claw machine
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've never held onto money for kids. Idk why other than a parent has never asked me to do it. But it's not often I take kids somewhere they need to spend money. As far as blowing money I do discuss what they're going to buy. But in my day I could handle my money somewhat wisely and I expect kids over ten to do the same.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:44 pm
Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:32 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm

At that age they can think through basic actions. If they blow their money on candy and toys and don't have enough for lunch, that is on them. I am not buying them things. One meal won't hurt them.
At that age, LOTS of kids can think through the predictable consequences of their actions. But some kids can't because they have never had the opportunity to do so. I'm not going to have kids in my care skipping meals for the sake of a teachable moment.
Than they will never learn.
I agree but that is a lesson to learn with their parents. Not cool Mom Red.
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I tend to hold separate money away from the rest of my money. And I pay and order things separate so that I can keep tabs on how much is left. Then at the end of the day I send them home with whatever is left even if its only a few odd cents.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If I'm taking 4 kids to Dollywood for my son's birthday celebration, I'd tell the parents that I will be paying for their lunch, admission, and birthday cake. I'd tell the parents, "If you are sending your kids with money, they will have to hold onto it themselves."

As for kid who invited himself to your upcoming Dollywood trip, he's only able to do that if you allow him to.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I always pay for my children’s friends when we take them somewhere.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm I will hold the money, but keep it separate, So if little Johnny wants a slush, I will give him the money for the slush and have him buy it himself and then put the change away so later when he wants to get his face painted I get out his money and hand it to him.
This
I'd stick 4 envelopes in my bag with each kids name on it. They buy what they want then the change goes back in the envelope. That'll be the easiest way to do it.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm I will hold the money, but keep it separate, So if little Johnny wants a slush, I will give him the money for the slush and have him buy it himself and then put the change away so later when he wants to get his face painted I get out his money and hand it to him.
This is what I do too.
owl0210
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I hold onto the money and give it back to the parent. I always pay when I take my son and a friend out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic