Warren calls for the elimination of the Electoral College

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
29again
Regent
Regent

Anonadon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 pm If Trump had received more popular votes but Hillary won, I’d feel the same. I wasn’t fond of either of them, but my third party vote was irrelevant because I live in a blue state.
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 pm If the election had gone the other way, and Hillary won, how many of you would still support doing away with the electoral college?
Why does the popular vote mean so much? We vote for someone to represent us, our views, our opinions... and as we move up the line, so-to-speak, one person represents more people. It makes sense to me that we have certain electors who vote according to how the majority in the state voted. What would really tick me off is if candidate A got more votes, but my states electors voted for candidate B because of how they personally felt. THAT is when your vote becomes irrelevant.

I would like to see more 3rd party candidates that aren't whack-a-doos, myself. Especially Libertarian candidates. My state had a really awesome Libertarian running for gov back in '12, but the establishment GOPers in the state gov got too scared of him and "decided" he really didn't get that many signatures to get on the ballot. That is when I knew my gov was shady.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 pm Right back at you. If Hillary had won without the popular vote, but thanks to the EC, how many of YOU would be bitching about it?
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 pm If the election had gone the other way, and Hillary won, how many of you would still support doing away with the electoral college?
I would not be bitching. I see the vote in each state as a direction for the EC votes. So, yeah, the "numbers" won't always "match up" the way some want them to. I don't place national importance on the popular vote.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm
I would!
Definitely!
The Electoral College is taking away the right to vote from citizens.
We just go through the motions while a few people in each state decide what their state supposedly wants them to do!
No, libby, that is not how it goes. Not the way you imply. The EC electors in each state vote for the candidate the majority of the people in their state voted for. Now, are there issues/problems in how state pick their electors? Yes, but that doesn't mean we should scrap the whole thing and just let a few big cities decide for the whole country. You stated earlier that your state's electors went for Hillary, because the majority of the voters in your state voted for her. How much more majority rule can you get, than the few people chosen to vote in the EC vote the way the majority of your state voted?
Yah right.🙄
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Of course you wouldn’t.
Isn’t it so easy to take the high road when it’s all hypothetical?
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 pm Right back at you. If Hillary had won without the popular vote, but thanks to the EC, how many of YOU would be bitching about it?
I would not be bitching. I see the vote in each state as a direction for the EC votes. So, yeah, the "numbers" won't always "match up" the way some want them to. I don't place national importance on the popular vote.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
29again
Regent
Regent

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 pm Of course you wouldn’t.
Isn’t it so easy to take the high road when it’s all hypothetical?
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm

I am not in the habit of lying, so.... when I say I would not be upset, then that is the truth.
Isn't it so easy to take the low road when things don't go your way?
Expand your thinking

Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:29 pm
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm

I would!
Definitely!
The Electoral College is taking away the right to vote from citizens.
We just go through the motions while a few people in each state decide what their state supposedly wants them to do!
No, libby, that is not how it goes. Not the way you imply. The EC electors in each state vote for the candidate the majority of the people in their state voted for. Now, are there issues/problems in how state pick their electors? Yes, but that doesn't mean we should scrap the whole thing and just let a few big cities decide for the whole country. You stated earlier that your state's electors went for Hillary, because the majority of the voters in your state voted for her. How much more majority rule can you get, than the few people chosen to vote in the EC vote the way the majority of your state voted?
Yah right.🙄
OK, then... where did I get it wrong, in reference to how the electoral college works? Tell me, please, libby, how I got it wrong.
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Deleted User 969

“What would really tick me off is if candidate A got more votes, but my states electors voted for candidate B because of how they personally felt. THAT is when your vote becomes irrelevant.“

Which is what happened in the last election, somewhat. Candidate A got more votes but the EC chose Candidate B.

With a true popular vote, every person has a say.
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 pm
Anonadon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 pm If Trump had received more popular votes but Hillary won, I’d feel the same. I wasn’t fond of either of them, but my third party vote was irrelevant because I live in a blue state.
Why does the popular vote mean so much? We vote for someone to represent us, our views, our opinions... and as we move up the line, so-to-speak, one person represents more people. It makes sense to me that we have certain electors who vote according to how the majority in the state voted. What would really tick me off is if candidate A got more votes, but my states electors voted for candidate B because of how they personally felt. THAT is when your vote becomes irrelevant.

I would like to see more 3rd party candidates that aren't whack-a-doos, myself. Especially Libertarian candidates. My state had a really awesome Libertarian running for gov back in '12, but the establishment GOPers in the state gov got too scared of him and "decided" he really didn't get that many signatures to get on the ballot. That is when I knew my gov was shady.
29again
Regent
Regent

No. That is not what happened in the last election. Which state's electors voted differently than the majority of the voters of the state? I don't see how an election process for 50 separate states could be done any more fairly than what we have with the EC.
Anonadon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 pm “What would really tick me off is if candidate A got more votes, but my states electors voted for candidate B because of how they personally felt. THAT is when your vote becomes irrelevant.“

Which is what happened in the last election, somewhat. Candidate A got more votes but the EC chose Candidate B.

Expand your thinking

Try it.
Deleted User 969

I just meant that more of the country wanted Candidate A to win but Candidate B did because of the EC. The EC did not represent the choice of the voters.

The EC isn’t especially “fair” as it is. The smaller states still have vastly less voice than the larger, more populous states. So where’s the harm in changing it so every voter’s vote counts?
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pm No. That is not what happened in the last election. Which state's electors voted differently than the majority of the voters of the state? I don't see how an election process for 50 separate states could be done any more fairly than what we have with the EC.
Anonadon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 pm “What would really tick me off is if candidate A got more votes, but my states electors voted for candidate B because of how they personally felt. THAT is when your vote becomes irrelevant.“

29again
Regent
Regent

But when we vote for a president, we do it by states. Not individuals.
If it (the EC) is changed, then those small states with a small voice NOW will have essentially NO voice at all. How is that fair?
Anonadon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 pm I just meant that more of the country wanted Candidate A to win but Candidate B did because of the EC. The EC did not represent the choice of the voters.

The EC isn’t especially “fair” as it is. The smaller states still have vastly less voice than the larger, more populous states. So where’s the harm in changing it so every voter’s vote counts?
29again wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pm No. That is not what happened in the last election. Which state's electors voted differently than the majority of the voters of the state? I don't see how an election process for 50 separate states could be done any more fairly than what we have with the EC.

Expand your thinking

Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic