TV Star Mike Rowe’s Unique Take on the College Admission Scandal Goes Viral

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm
Mommabear2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm not questioning that, I agree with him on that... We need people to build houses and fix roofs just as much as we need doctors.

I'm questioning why he is so disgusted at this new information.
I guess I still don't understand why you are questioning why he is disgusted by this. Most people are.
True, but most people are disgusted that amazing opportunities to advance their/ thier children's education are being stolen by the elite.

It's interesting that he would use the word disgusted, when he wasn't all that convinced at the importance of those opportunities to begin with.
Maybe this helps???
But Rowe said that the desperate attempts to buy success reveal something more fundamentally wrong in American society.

“I wish we were as outraged by the cost of college, as we are by the wealth of the cheaters,” he said.
And I've never gotten the impression from him that college is not important. Rather, that we aren't offering trade schools and the like as a choice in most high schools, that going to college to get that degree is the ONLY option that is presented to most students these days.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm
Mommabear2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm

I guess I still don't understand why you are questioning why he is disgusted by this. Most people are.
True, but most people are disgusted that amazing opportunities to advance their/ thier children's education are being stolen by the elite.

It's interesting that he would use the word disgusted, when he wasn't all that convinced at the importance of those opportunities to begin with.
Maybe this helps???
But Rowe said that the desperate attempts to buy success reveal something more fundamentally wrong in American society.

“I wish we were as outraged by the cost of college, as we are by the wealth of the cheaters,” he said.
And I've never gotten the impression from him that college is not important. Rather, that we aren't offering trade schools and the like as a choice in most high schools, that going to college to get that degree is the ONLY option that is presented to most students these days.
Just seems a bit ingenuine coming from a man who has a University education, is extremely wealthy, and a CNN show holder.

But on a different note, I think they are being suggested at High schools as well... The High school around here has a number of different shop classes, many different apprentice opportunities with nearby construction work/ plumbers/ vet techs and others...Not to mention the huge promotion of military related positions.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:35 pm

Maybe this helps???

Just seems a bit ingenuine coming from a man who has a University education, is extremely wealthy, and a CNN show holder.

But on a different note, I think they are being suggested at High schools as well... The High school around here has a number of different shop classes, many different apprentice opportunities with nearby construction work/ plumbers/ vet techs and others...Not to mention the huge promotion of military related positions.
Could it be that he knows from experience that the degree is not always worth the money? Or that the degree is not always necessary for the career that one goes into? I mean, he got a degree in communication studies, then did radio work and was in an opera when he got a job with QVC. Please, don't tell me that QVC requires a degree!! Singing opera does not require a degree, either, that I know of.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Maybe this helps???

Could it be that he knows from experience that the degree is not always worth the money? Or that the degree is not always necessary for the career that one goes into? I mean, he got a degree in communication studies, then did radio work and was in an opera when he got a job with QVC. Please, don't tell me that QVC requires a degree!! Singing opera does not require a degree, either, that I know of.
I think for a man who makes millions of dollars a year in television communications, a communications degree has been money well spent...
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:45 pm

I think for a man who makes millions of dollars a year in television communications, a communications degree has been money well spent...
Well, yes... for him it did work out decently. But, we don't know what it took for him to get that degree, and it did take a while until he got all that TV work, which is when it really paid off. How does communication studies do a lot for singing in an opera?
What about all the people who went into puppetry, women's studies, or entrepreneurship as a major? I'm sure they're almost millionaires by now, right?
Expand your thinking

Try it.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Well, yes... for him it did work out decently. But, we don't know what it took for him to get that degree, and it did take a while until he got all that TV work, which is when it really paid off. How does communication studies do a lot for singing in an opera?
What about all the people who went into puppetry, women's studies, or entrepreneurship as a major? I'm sure they're almost millionaires by now, right?
Getting a degree doesn't mean you will become successful... It shows future employers that you have been given the tools to become successful in the chosen field, and when coupled with GPA it shows how well you have been equipped. How one uses those tools is completely up to them...
Crimson417
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

And why do we care what he thinks?
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It probably works out better for folks that aren't there because of legacies, athletics or bribes.

Or are professional students
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Locked Previous topicNext topic