TV Star Mike Rowe’s Unique Take on the College Admission Scandal Goes Viral

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

TV star Mike Rowe, who for years has waged a one-man campaign to promote roads to success that do not involve high-priced college degrees, said in a recent post he is “disgusted” with the recent scandal in which megabucks parents are accused of bribing their children’s way into top colleges.

https://www.westernjournal.com/tv-star- ... tyalliance
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Why ? He doesn't think college is necessary anyways... Why would he be disgusted at collage age kids going to community college or trade school instead?

Wasn't he promoting that to begin with...?

Maybe he thinks his University degree actually did help him become successful... That would make sense as a reason to be pissed off that the opportunity is being denied to others.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm Why ? He doesn't think college is necessary anyways... Why would he be disgusted at collage age kids going to community college or trade school instead?

Maybe he thinks his University degree actually did help him become successful... That would make sense as a reason to be pissed off that the opportunity is being denied to others.
Elsewhere on his Facebook page, Rowe battled the “persistent perception that I am ‘anti-college.'”

“I’m not. I’m just convinced the best path for the most people is NOT the most expensive path. I’m therefore focused on more affordable ways to learn a useful skill, specifically trade schools and community colleges,” he wrote.
Mommabear2
Villein
Villein

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm Why ? He doesn't think college is necessary anyways... Why would he be disgusted at collage age kids going to community college or trade school instead?

Did you actually read the article? He said that community college and/or trade school was a good alternative to an expensive college that you need to take out huge loans for.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

HanSolo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Elsewhere on his Facebook page, Rowe battled the “persistent perception that I am ‘anti-college.'”

“I’m not. I’m just convinced the best path for the most people is NOT the most expensive path. I’m therefore focused on more affordable ways to learn a useful skill, specifically trade schools and community colleges,” he wrote.
I'm not questioning that, I agree with him on that... We need people to build houses and fix roofs just as much as we need doctors.

I'm questioning why he is so disgusted at this new information.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I guess I'm one of the few people left who doesn't think that a decent (non ivy league) college needs to cost you mounds of insurmountable debt to get a worthless piece of paper. I went to a nice school with strong academics that I paid for myself and got a degree I use in my job. It's not for everyone, but for many its valuable and very doable.

I think he has some valid points but I'm not relating to his overall message well.
Mommabear2
Villein
Villein

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm not questioning that, I agree with him on that... We need people to build houses and fix roofs just as much as we need doctors.

I guess I still don't understand why you are questioning why he is disgusted by this. Most people are.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mommabear2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm

I guess I still don't understand why you are questioning why he is disgusted by this. Most people are.
True, but most people are disgusted that amazing opportunities to advance their/ thier children's education are being stolen by the elite.

It's interesting that he would use the word disgusted, when he wasn't all that convinced at the importance of those opportunities to begin with.
Mommabear2
Villein
Villein

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm
Mommabear2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm

True, but most people are disgusted that amazing opportunities to advance their/ thier children's education are being stolen by the elite.

It's interesting that he would use the word disgusted, when he wasn't all that convinced at the importance of those opportunities to begin with.
I think what he is so disgusted with is the fact that these parents are so pressed to say that their children are going to this or that college, that they are willing to do anything including breaking the law to get them in there. And because as a society we don't view having a degree from a community college or trade school as impressive so these Ivy league type college can get away with charges so much that the normal person has to go in debt to be able to go.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

He is just a former reality TV star. Without 'dirty jobs' he'd be another nobody. His opinion is no different than the opinion of someone no one knows. His opinion means nothing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic