Is "pregaming" rude?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We had a final for school on Monday. Last night was the first chance we had to get together as a class to celebrate. A girl was hosting beer and pizza at her house at 8 pm

There was a facebook group message and a few hours before someone asked if anyone would be down to pregame and get some drinks and food before going over at 8. We planned to meet up at 6:30. Several people said they couldnt wait until 8 to eat anyway

At 6:10 the host messaged everyone that she felt it was really rude that we would go and drink and eat before going to her house when she was hosting and she wasnt available until 8. She said she felt we are ungrateful and all this other BS.

In the end she ended up not hosting and we went to another persons house instead.

I have never had anyone ever get offended by that. In the past I have hosted at my house and everyone including me "pregamed" and went and got drinks before ending up at my house.

So is "pregaming" rude? Just want to hear opinions because I'm curious.

ETA the party was super low key. BYOB and we all pitched in for pizza
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I think it's an immature sounding term but I never was that into alcohol to need to have a strategy like that for drinking. But as long as people dont use that as an excuse to flake out on the host later I dont see the problem. I could see how that would be a concern in some groups though.
Lolabearlow
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’ve never heard that term but how much food and how many drinks do you need in one night?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am I think it's an immature sounding term but I never was that into alcohol to need to have a strategy like that for drinking. But as long as people dont use that as an excuse to flake out on the host later I dont see the problem. I could see how that would be a concern in some groups though.
I dont really like the term myself either but that seems to be what "everyone" calls it these days lol
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, it's rude.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lolabearlow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 am I’ve never heard that term but how much food and how many drinks do you need in one night?
I got an appetizer and a couple beers at the pub before and then had a couple slices of pizza and more beer later. It wasnt like we were having full course meals at both places and no one was super drunk or anything. Everyone was home by 11. Overall we are pretty tame in comparison to when I was younger and in college lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am Yes, it's rude.
Can you explain why? If we all went and ate individually would that have been rude? Were we supposed to wait to eat?

8pm is later than most of the things I normally even go to tbh
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If you couldn't wait until 8 to eat, then by all means, eat something before you go, but the whole idea of eating and drinking before you go eat and drink some more is just really dumb to me.She probably got her feelings hurt, if everyone knew she wasn't available until 8, she might have felt like she was being purposefully excluded.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am I think it's an immature sounding term but I never was that into alcohol to need to have a strategy like that for drinking. But as long as people dont use that as an excuse to flake out on the host later I dont see the problem. I could see how that would be a concern in some groups though.
I dont really like the term myself either but that seems to be what "everyone" calls it these days lol

Well it sounds juvenile.

If the "pregaming" takes away from the host's party in some way, or he/she thinks it probably will, I can see how that person would feel a little bit put off.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I only refer to "Pregaming" as drinking and if its wrong-I don't want to be right. I almost always pregame meaning have some shots or drinks BEFORE going out. ( I don't drive obviously).

Now eating before coming to a meal is kinda rude. But having a snack or something is fine I guess.

I would not have gotten offended if I were the host as long as everyone still showed up at 8 on time and ate food and had drinks with me. If they show up late or not at all and don't eat any of the food I paid for-then I think I would be right to be pissy
Locked Previous topicNext topic