assigning a project right before Spring break

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’d find an 6-7 hour audio book and listen to an hour-ish a day...
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am Oh, Reds! I don't know that I would do that! If school is still in session (and maybe even if it's not), I think I'd run that book title by the teacher! The last thing you or your son needs is to later hear that the book didn't meet the parameters of the assignment!

Judging by your description of the book, I think it does meet the parameters. But I wouldn't assume that it does. Any assumption made by a student may result in him earning an inferior grade. Going forward, I would tell you son that regardless of whether or not a syllabus states that approval is required, a student should always get one prior to embarking. it's just prudent that he does.
RedBottoms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am When I read your description of the type of book that needed to be read, the first author that came to mind was Khaled Hosseini. But I agree with you. The Kite Runner would not have been appropriate for that age level. If you're a reader, I highly recommend this author. Specifically, his book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is phenomenal!

What I find strange about your son's assignment is that the teacher didn't need to APPROVE the book before the student could embark on this project. I say that only because the TYPE of book that this teacher wants the kids to read seems VERY specific. I'd be really mad if my kid received an inferior grade because his book didn't fall within the guidelines given. And...even if the student had wanted to, he couldn't even check with the teacher at this time because school is closed.

When I started to read your post, it sounded like one that I had already read. Well...that's because it's the same teacher doing the same crap again! It sounds like your son will be able to pull this together as he always does. I'd use this (these!) moments to teach him that for the next 8 years he's going to come across plenty of teachers and professors like this one. All he can do is ask a lot of questions as soon as they arise and do his best on the project.

There are going to be many times in his academic life that he is going to have absolutely no control over the fact that his teacher isn't the best at his job. Sometimes, the teacher not being so great at his job may even result in your kid earning a lower grade than deserved. Teach your kid now how to advocate for himself because trust me, when he gets to college, he will need to know how to. Knowing how to may make the difference between him receiving the "A" he believes he earned and him receiving the "B" that the professor believes he deserves. Of course, the professors word is final. But sometimes, the professor, when challenged, does come around to the student's way of thinking! Teach your kid how to respectfully advocate for himself. He may be wrong and not deserve the "A." But he also might be right!

He said something on the paper about if you have doubt let me okay the book but like you said-school is going to be closed. I told DS not to run the book by him. But we can print off the amazon description of the book and show it says for 4th to 7th graders so fits the appropriate for 6th graders and the description on the back of the book says it takes place in Ukraine and Germany. So he will have to deal with it if he doesn't like the book. Because it meets his parameters.

I am not taking a chance at him seeing the book and not wanting to approve it because we honestly don't have much time to find something else if he has to finish everything by next Friday so he can go to my mom's house and spend time with possibly dying StepDad who is the only grandfather my kids know.
I agree with you the book she mentioned is a book geared toward 8 - 12 year olds (so age wise he is at the top of it). It is also a Canadian author, so it may be a stretch for the requirements.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am I’d find an 6-7 hour audio book and listen to an hour-ish a day...
You're better than me. I used to 'ahem', skim the book, read the back cover, and go to the library for cliffnotes... I'm actually trying to listen to Moby Dick just for the hell of it on audio and I can't get through it. Ishmael, the narrator, is the most wordy sailor in the history of boating. I'm sorry the whale didn't eat him or I assume not. I've not gotten that far. Never have your kid read this book.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am Oh, Reds! I don't know that I would do that! If school is still in session (and maybe even if it's not), I think I'd run that book title by the teacher! The last thing you or your son needs is to later hear that the book didn't meet the parameters of the assignment!

Judging by your description of the book, I think it does meet the parameters. But I wouldn't assume that it does. Any assumption made by a student may result in him earning an inferior grade. Going forward, I would tell you son that regardless of whether or not a syllabus states that approval is required, a student should always get one prior to embarking. it's just prudent that he does.

He said something on the paper about if you have doubt let me okay the book but like you said-school is going to be closed. I told DS not to run the book by him. But we can print off the amazon description of the book and show it says for 4th to 7th graders so fits the appropriate for 6th graders and the description on the back of the book says it takes place in Ukraine and Germany. So he will have to deal with it if he doesn't like the book. Because it meets his parameters.

I am not taking a chance at him seeing the book and not wanting to approve it because we honestly don't have much time to find something else if he has to finish everything by next Friday so he can go to my mom's house and spend time with possibly dying StepDad who is the only grandfather my kids know.
I agree with you the book she mentioned is a book geared toward 8 - 12 year olds (so age wise he is at the top of it). It is also a Canadian author, so it may be a stretch for the requirements.
If the author is French speaking that would be fine I think.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am

From Brantford, Ontario, so not a french author. She is a Ukrainian Canadian, so that is what I mean by pushing the envelope.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am When I read your description of the type of book that needed to be read, the first author that came to mind was Khaled Hosseini. But I agree with you. The Kite Runner would not have been appropriate for that age level. If you're a reader, I highly recommend this author. Specifically, his book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is phenomenal!

What I find strange about your son's assignment is that the teacher didn't need to APPROVE the book before the student could embark on this project. I say that only because the TYPE of book that this teacher wants the kids to read seems VERY specific. I'd be really mad if my kid received an inferior grade because his book didn't fall within the guidelines given. And...even if the student had wanted to, he couldn't even check with the teacher at this time because school is closed.

When I started to read your post, it sounded like one that I had already read. Well...that's because it's the same teacher doing the same crap again! It sounds like your son will be able to pull this together as he always does. I'd use this (these!) moments to teach him that for the next 8 years he's going to come across plenty of teachers and professors like this one. All he can do is ask a lot of questions as soon as they arise and do his best on the project.

There are going to be many times in his academic life that he is going to have absolutely no control over the fact that his teacher isn't the best at his job. Sometimes, the teacher not being so great at his job may even result in your kid earning a lower grade than deserved. Teach your kid now how to advocate for himself because trust me, when he gets to college, he will need to know how to. Knowing how to may make the difference between him receiving the "A" he believes he earned and him receiving the "B" that the professor believes he deserves. Of course, the professors word is final. But sometimes, the professor, when challenged, does come around to the student's way of thinking! Teach your kid how to respectfully advocate for himself. He may be wrong and not deserve the "A." But he also might be right!

It meets the parameters. If he tried to say it did not I would take it right to the Principal. It definitely meets the parameters of a book that takes place in a non English speaking country and for 6th grade level.

He can suck it if he doesn't like it
RedBottoms

Unread post

My son is 11. Amazon says grades 6-8
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 am I happen to agree with you on this. What is the point to a break if not to relax and do no work?

That said, though, I think this practice does occur often. And, if the kid is in gifted or advanced classes (as I think Redbottom's kid is), he will need to assume that this will most often be the case. Hell! I don't think my kid had a break at all between grades 8-12. She worked through all breaks including summer.

We can all debate as to whether or not it is right or it is wrong that a kid would have to go 4 years without a break. But in our district, that is the way it is for students who elect to take the advanced route. The student who chooses the advanced route knows what will be expected of him. If he doesn't like the idea of never getting a break, he needs to choose a different route...one that gives him the break he wants/needs.

For my kid, taking the no-break route worked best. She loved having her face in a book all the time. It relaxed her. It was what she was good at. And it made her feel good about herself. If taking advanced classes makes a kid feel accomplished, that she has a purpose, and it doesn't stress her out, I say take that route. If taking advanced classes deprives a kid of other valuable aspects of life or causes him undo stress, he should lay down his pursuit of the advanced classes.
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 am Personally I think that teacher should not assign anything during Spring/March Break. This is unfair to many families that decide to travel during the entire period of the break. The same can be said for other holidays. Now, if the assignment was given much prior to the break but the child left it to the last moment, that is one the child, not the teacher.
Its not an advanced class.Its the regular 6th grade Language Arts class. But its an advanced school. They push the kids super hard there. The school has super high test scores and wins awards all the time. So its way harder than the average regular middle school my other son goes to. A lot of kids fail out and drop out of this school because they either get fed up with the high standards or they just can't actually make the standards and get Fs.

My son is not dropping out. He wants to be at this school. The Social Studies and Science and Math teacher don't assign that much outside school work and what they do assign is reasonable in my opinion.It never takes that long. But the Language Arts teacher is freaking nuts.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am

From Brantford, Ontario, so not a french author. She is a Ukrainian Canadian, so that is what I mean by pushing the envelope.
The parameters were takes place in a non-english speaking country OR written by a non english speaking author. Since the book takes place in Ukraine it takes place in a non english speaking country.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am

My son is 11. Amazon says grades 6-8
Our school book system ranks this book in the 8 - 12 age range. If you want to have something with this author maybe look at Underground Soldier, our school book system ranks this on 10 - 14 age range, these are companion books, along with Stolen Child.
Locked Previous topicNext topic