assigning a project right before Spring break

Anonymous 1

Unread post

When I read your description of the type of book that needed to be read, the first author that came to mind was Khaled Hosseini. But I agree with you. The Kite Runner would not have been appropriate for that age level. If you're a reader, I highly recommend this author. Specifically, his book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is phenomenal!

What I find strange about your son's assignment is that the teacher didn't need to APPROVE the book before the student could embark on this project. I say that only because the TYPE of book that this teacher wants the kids to read seems VERY specific. I'd be really mad if my kid received an inferior grade because his book didn't fall within the guidelines given. And...even if the student had wanted to, he couldn't even check with the teacher at this time because school is closed.

When I started to read your post, it sounded like one that I had already read. Well...that's because it's the same teacher doing the same crap again! It sounds like your son will be able to pull this together as he always does. I'd use this (these!) moments to teach him that for the next 8 years he's going to come across plenty of teachers and professors like this one. All he can do is ask a lot of questions as soon as they arise and do his best on the project.

There are going to be many times in his academic life that he is going to have absolutely no control over the fact that his teacher isn't the best at his job. Sometimes, the teacher not being so great at his job may even result in your kid earning a lower grade than deserved. Teach your kid now how to advocate for himself because trust me, when he gets to college, he will need to know how to. Knowing how to may make the difference between him receiving the "A" he believes he earned and him receiving the "B" that the professor believes he deserves. Of course, the professors word is final. But sometimes, the professor, when challenged, does come around to the student's way of thinking! Teach your kid how to respectfully advocate for himself. He may be wrong and not deserve the "A." But he also might be right!

RedBottoms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am I think all schools should be like colleges and each teacher should hand out a syllabus at the beginning of the school year.

The students should have been told a long time ago about this project so that they could have chosen a book and even began working on it in advance if that's what they wanted to do.

What book did your son pick?
"Bombs for Hitler" or "Making Bombs for Hitler" something like that. Its about a little girl in Ukraine I think and ends up in Germany. So I think that fits the criteria. He liked the book so he is fine reading it again. Its about 215 pages.

We were actually struggling to find a book that fit the criteria on Amazon. Most books we found were too mature for him in subject matter or too long that he would not have time to read them in time.

I am pretty big on not having him read books too mature in subject matter. Like "Kite Runner" came up as something that fit the description but that subject matter is not okay for an 11 year old. I think it has rape in it. So things like that make me picky about what he is going to read.

He does hand out syllabus per 9 weeks but he won't give out the details of the assignment ahead of time or he throws in "surprise" assignments. He surprised assigned them a paper on MLK over the MLK weekend holiday last 9 weeks. He does shit like this all the time. Its so F***ing annoying. So if you do try to plan a trip to visit family or go hiking or whatever---he fucks you over.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Personally I think that teacher should not assign anything during Spring/March Break. This is unfair to many families that decide to travel during the entire period of the break. The same can be said for other holidays. Now, if the assignment was given much prior to the break but the child left it to the last moment, that is one the child, not the teacher.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am When I read your description of the type of book that needed to be read, the first author that came to mind was Khaled Hosseini. But I agree with you. The Kite Runner would not have been appropriate for that age level. If you're a reader, I highly recommend this author. Specifically, his book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is phenomenal!

What I find strange about your son's assignment is that the teacher didn't need to APPROVE the book before the student could embark on this project. I say that only because the TYPE of book that this teacher wants the kids to read seems VERY specific. I'd be really mad if my kid received an inferior grade because his book didn't fall within the guidelines given. And...even if the student had wanted to, he couldn't even check with the teacher at this time because school is closed.

When I started to read your post, it sounded like one that I had already read. Well...that's because it's the same teacher doing the same crap again! It sounds like your son will be able to pull this together as he always does. I'd use this (these!) moments to teach him that for the next 8 years he's going to come across plenty of teachers and professors like this one. All he can do is ask a lot of questions as soon as they arise and do his best on the project.

There are going to be many times in his academic life that he is going to have absolutely no control over the fact that his teacher isn't the best at his job. Sometimes, the teacher not being so great at his job may even result in your kid earning a lower grade than deserved. Teach your kid now how to advocate for himself because trust me, when he gets to college, he will need to know how to. Knowing how to may make the difference between him receiving the "A" he believes he earned and him receiving the "B" that the professor believes he deserves. Of course, the professors word is final. But sometimes, the professor, when challenged, does come around to the student's way of thinking! Teach your kid how to respectfully advocate for himself. He may be wrong and not deserve the "A." But he also might be right!

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am I think all schools should be like colleges and each teacher should hand out a syllabus at the beginning of the school year.

The students should have been told a long time ago about this project so that they could have chosen a book and even began working on it in advance if that's what they wanted to do.

What book did your son pick?
"Bombs for Hitler" or "Making Bombs for Hitler" something like that. Its about a little girl in Ukraine I think and ends up in Germany. So I think that fits the criteria. He liked the book so he is fine reading it again. Its about 215 pages.

We were actually struggling to find a book that fit the criteria on Amazon. Most books we found were too mature for him in subject matter or too long that he would not have time to read them in time.

I am pretty big on not having him read books too mature in subject matter. Like "Kite Runner" came up as something that fit the description but that subject matter is not okay for an 11 year old. I think it has rape in it. So things like that make me picky about what he is going to read.

He does hand out syllabus per 9 weeks but he won't give out the details of the assignment ahead of time or he throws in "surprise" assignments. He surprised assigned them a paper on MLK over the MLK weekend holiday last 9 weeks. He does shit like this all the time. Its so F***ing annoying. So if you do try to plan a trip to visit family or go hiking or whatever---he fucks you over.
He said something on the paper about if you have doubt let me okay the book but like you said-school is going to be closed. I told DS not to run the book by him. But we can print off the amazon description of the book and show it says for 4th to 7th graders so fits the appropriate for 6th graders and the description on the back of the book says it takes place in Ukraine and Germany. So he will have to deal with it if he doesn't like the book. Because it meets his parameters.

I am not taking a chance at him seeing the book and not wanting to approve it because we honestly don't have much time to find something else if he has to finish everything by next Friday so he can go to my mom's house and spend time with possibly dying StepDad who is the only grandfather my kids know.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

A lot of teachers do that. Frankly I think they're a touch sadistic. Of course the other issue could be they're playing catch up after all the winter storms. In Florida we don't have that excuse. I just tell my kids yeah it sucks ass but I don't make the rules. Use sparknotes and make it a tad easier on yourself lol.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do not see the big deal. If mine have a project over the spring break so be it. In yours I would get get something by Alexandre Dumas (like The Count of Monte Crisco or The Three Musketeers) and be done with it. Hey your son is a ballet dancer get E.T.A Hoffmann and Alexandre Dumas - Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker
RedBottoms

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am I do not see the big deal. If mine have a project over the spring break so be it. In yours I would get get something by Alexandre Dumas (like The Count of Monte Crisco or The Three Musketeers) and be done with it. Hey your son is a ballet dancer get E.T.A Hoffmann and Alexandre Dumas - Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker
So you never make trips or plans over school breaks that having to read a lot and do work would interrupt those?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am
highlandmum wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am I do not see the big deal. If mine have a project over the spring break so be it. In yours I would get get something by Alexandre Dumas (like The Count of Monte Crisco or The Three Musketeers) and be done with it. Hey your son is a ballet dancer get E.T.A Hoffmann and Alexandre Dumas - Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker
So you never make trips or plans over school breaks that having to read a lot and do work would interrupt those?
My DH works over spring break and cannot get it off, busy time so no. But even so if it is assigned it gets done.

On a side not sure of the age recommendation for the Nutcracker book (may be a book geared to someone younger than your son), just thought it would be of interest when I typed Alexandra Dumas but never read it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I happen to agree with you on this. What is the point to a break if not to relax and do no work?

That said, though, I think this practice does occur often. And, if the kid is in gifted or advanced classes (as I think Redbottom's kid is), he will need to assume that this will most often be the case. Hell! I don't think my kid had a break at all between grades 8-12. She worked through all breaks including summer.

We can all debate as to whether or not it is right or it is wrong that a kid would have to go 4 years without a break. But in our district, that is the way it is for students who elect to take the advanced route. The student who chooses the advanced route knows what will be expected of him. If he doesn't like the idea of never getting a break, he needs to choose a different route...one that gives him the break he wants/needs.

For my kid, taking the no-break route worked best. She loved having her face in a book all the time. It relaxed her. It was what she was good at. And it made her feel good about herself. If taking advanced classes makes a kid feel accomplished, that she has a purpose, and it doesn't stress her out, I say take that route. If taking advanced classes deprives a kid of other valuable aspects of life or causes him undo stress, he should lay down his pursuit of the advanced classes.
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 am Personally I think that teacher should not assign anything during Spring/March Break. This is unfair to many families that decide to travel during the entire period of the break. The same can be said for other holidays. Now, if the assignment was given much prior to the break but the child left it to the last moment, that is one the child, not the teacher.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 am I happen to agree with you on this. What is the point to a break if not to relax and do no work?

That said, though, I think this practice does occur often. And, if the kid is in gifted or advanced classes (as I think Redbottom's kid is), he will need to assume that this will most often be the case. Hell! I don't think my kid had a break at all between grades 8-12. She worked through all breaks including summer.

We can all debate as to whether or not it is right or it is wrong that a kid would have to go 4 years without a break. But in our district, that is the way it is for students who elect to take the advanced route. The student who chooses the advanced route knows what will be expected of him. If he doesn't like the idea of never getting a break, he needs to choose a different route...one that gives him the break he wants/needs.

For my kid, taking the no-break route worked best. She loved having her face in a book all the time. It relaxed her. It was what she was good at. And it made her feel good about herself. If taking advanced classes makes a kid feel accomplished, that she has a purpose, and it doesn't stress her out, I say take that route. If taking advanced classes deprives a kid of other valuable aspects of life or causes him undo stress, he should lay down his pursuit of the advanced classes.
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 am Personally I think that teacher should not assign anything during Spring/March Break. This is unfair to many families that decide to travel during the entire period of the break. The same can be said for other holidays. Now, if the assignment was given much prior to the break but the child left it to the last moment, that is one the child, not the teacher.
I really like your reply. What we should take to heart is when you said, "For my kid." Each child is different and they respond to time away from school differently. There is a movement here to reduce the two month summer break to one month but make longer one week breaks throughout the year.

For my kids, the break does them well and gives them chances to pursue things during the day. Being young they need to be pushed into them, but once they are there, they appreciate the program.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Oh, Reds! I don't know that I would do that! If school is still in session (and maybe even if it's not), I think I'd run that book title by the teacher! The last thing you or your son needs is to later hear that the book didn't meet the parameters of the assignment!

Judging by your description of the book, I think it does meet the parameters. But I wouldn't assume that it does. Any assumption made by a student may result in him earning an inferior grade. Going forward, I would tell you son that regardless of whether or not a syllabus states that approval is required, a student should always get one prior to embarking. it's just prudent that he does.
RedBottoms wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am When I read your description of the type of book that needed to be read, the first author that came to mind was Khaled Hosseini. But I agree with you. The Kite Runner would not have been appropriate for that age level. If you're a reader, I highly recommend this author. Specifically, his book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is phenomenal!

He said something on the paper about if you have doubt let me okay the book but like you said-school is going to be closed. I told DS not to run the book by him. But we can print off the amazon description of the book and show it says for 4th to 7th graders so fits the appropriate for 6th graders and the description on the back of the book says it takes place in Ukraine and Germany. So he will have to deal with it if he doesn't like the book. Because it meets his parameters.

I am not taking a chance at him seeing the book and not wanting to approve it because we honestly don't have much time to find something else if he has to finish everything by next Friday so he can go to my mom's house and spend time with possibly dying StepDad who is the only grandfather my kids know.
Locked Previous topicNext topic