Indonesian woman dies after being swallowed whole by a python

lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:50 pm
handy0318 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm We have a 9 foot long ring tail boa.

He's silent and lightening fast. When he strikes his food, he immediately twists and squeezes. There is no time for the food to react. Generally, it's dead upon the strike, but if the strike doesn't kill it, the pressure from the constriction does.

I have no problems understanding how a python can kill a human being. The only surprise to me was that it was able to swallow her, but my husband, who is a bit of a herpetologist says that a 24 foot python can easily swallow a smaller human.
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Right? I'm not getting the logistics of that. A snake that big sneaks up on you? And it's able to grab you?
Yikes! That poor lady. The good news is that she didn't know what hit her. Sounds like it would be fast and painless. Thank you for the info.
Why do you think she didn't feel it?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lunarprancer wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 pm
handy0318 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm We have a 9 foot long ring tail boa.

He's silent and lightening fast. When he strikes his food, he immediately twists and squeezes. There is no time for the food to react. Generally, it's dead upon the strike, but if the strike doesn't kill it, the pressure from the constriction does.

I have no problems understanding how a python can kill a human being. The only surprise to me was that it was able to swallow her, but my husband, who is a bit of a herpetologist says that a 24 foot python can easily swallow a smaller human.

Yikes! That poor lady. The good news is that she didn't know what hit her. Sounds like it would be fast and painless. Thank you for the info.
If she was dead upon the strike, she wouldn't have been coherent to feel herself being sucked in, or feel the stomach acids start to dissolve her. She wouldn't have known what happened.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm

If she was dead upon the strike, she wouldn't have been coherent to feel herself being sucked in, or feel the stomach acids start to dissolve her. She wouldn't have known what happened.
Well, I know, but we don't know if she was dead upon strike. I sure hope she was though.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

bluebunnybabe wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 pm Well I know where I’m not moving. We have snakes but I haven’t seen one big enough to do that!
Don't move to florida
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It is unlikely she would be dead upon strike. Pythons have relatively small teeth, not large enough to kill someone in one strike. But, they are shaped like hooks so once they are in, you can't pull back out. Then the snake wraps and constricts so that the victim can no longer breathe out and they would die from ischemia. It would be fast, under a minute, but not immediate. The good news is a snake will monitor it's preys pulse until they are sure that the heart has stopped beating before they start to swallow their food, to ensure that the prey won't fight back, so the woman would not have experienced being swallowed.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 pm
It is unlikely she would be dead upon strike. Pythons have relatively small teeth, not large enough to kill someone in one strike. But, they are shaped like hooks so once they are in, you can't pull back out. Then the snake wraps and constricts so that the victim can no longer breathe out and they would die from ischemia. It would be fast, under a minute, but not immediate. The good news is a snake will monitor it's preys pulse until they are sure that the heart has stopped beating before they start to swallow their food, to ensure that the prey won't fight back, so the woman would not have experienced being swallowed.
That's what was the most horrifying thought to me. That poor thing.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm
bluebunnybabe wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 pm Well I know where I’m not moving. We have snakes but I haven’t seen one big enough to do that!
Don't move to florida
I lived in FL for ten years, never saw a snake. Lots of lizards and man sized roaches, but no snakes.
viv74
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:00 pm
eyes4ears wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:32 pm I cant image being that still ling enough for a snake to eat me.
Right? I'm not getting the logistics of that. A snake that big sneaks up on you? And it's able to grab you?
They are very good tree climbers and they kill by constricting. Maybe it snuck up on her and got her in the neck first. They are extremely strong, she wouldn’t of stood a chance against it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lunarprancer wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm
Don't move to florida
I lived in FL for ten years, never saw a snake. Lots of lizards and man sized roaches, but no snakes.
Reticulated pythons and Burmese pythons are invasive species to Florida. Not to the whole state and they are hard to find, but they are definitely there.
BloodHoney
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

yippity wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 pm Is it bad that I kinda want to see this? At least the intact, bloated snake with a human shaped bump..
All of this.
'Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.'
Locked Previous topicNext topic