I am not ok with this...

Notatroll
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

My daughter is 19, she lives at home while going to school and working. She pretty much pays her own way ,not rent or utilities or groceries, but she buys her own stuff and takes care of her needs and wants. She’s a great kid and is working her ass off, she doesn’t party, or drink or anything, if she’s not at school or Work she’s home or volunteering she currently only sees her boyfriend once a week because of their work and school schedules.

So here’s my problem, she plays dungeons and dragons online every week (I told you she’s not out partying lol) she’s made friends with the people she plays with one lives about 3 hours from here so she’s planning on taking a train to go hang out with him this summer but since the train schedules are mainly for people that are going to and from work and don’t run later in the evening her plan is to stay the night and come home the next morning. I’m kind of freaking out about it. I voiced my opinion and told her what if he’s a creeper and she said “it’s fine mom I’ve seen him on web cam and he’s gay anyway”
I know people meet online all the time and that she’s an adult and I can’t really stop her but I still am her mom and I worry. I did make her download a tracking thing in her phone so I can at least see where she is if I don’t hear from her, she acted like I’m crazy.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd be worried too. They should meet in a public place for their first time face to face.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I get the worry, but she is 19, and she needs you to trust her. Just talk to her about safety...like making sure that at least 2 people know the address she is going to be staying at, when she is due to come home, and have her call you when she gets there, and when she is about to leave to come home. Also, let her know that you won't expect her to check in with you every time she does this, but since it's the first time, it will help you worry less.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Notatroll wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm My daughter is 19, she lives at home while going to school and working. She pretty much pays her own way ,not rent or utilities or groceries, but she buys her own stuff and takes care of her needs and wants. She’s a great kid and is working her ass off, she doesn’t party, or drink or anything, if she’s not at school or Work she’s home or volunteering she currently only sees her boyfriend once a week because of their work and school schedules.

So here’s my problem, she plays dungeons and dragons online every week (I told you she’s not out partying lol) she’s made friends with the people she plays with one lives about 3 hours from here so she’s planning on taking a train to go hang out with him this summer but since the train schedules are mainly for people that are going to and from work and don’t run later in the evening her plan is to stay the night and come home the next morning. I’m kind of freaking out about it. I voiced my opinion and told her what if he’s a creeper and she said “it’s fine mom I’ve seen him on web cam and he’s gay anyway”
I know people meet online all the time and that she’s an adult and I can’t really stop her but I still am her mom and I worry. I did make her download a tracking thing in her phone so I can at least see where she is if I don’t hear from her, she acted like I’m crazy.
She is an adult. You can't really stop her. I would just tell her to text you when she gets there and again before bed and make sure you have the guy's name and address just in case
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hell no! That is not safe at all. Have her watch a few shows on the ID channel, it's true stories of innocent people getting murdered. Especially women getting murdered by men.

He might be ok, but who knows who else would be there.

Unread post

Trust in your parenting and trust your daughter. You said she is a good kid. I am sure she is very smart.

My DD flew halfway across the world to meet her boyfriend, who she met online. It was so strange knowing she was so far away and doing such a big thing on her own but I knew I had raised her right and that she knew how to handle herself.
Notatroll
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm Trust in your parenting and trust your daughter. You said she is a good kid. I am sure she is very smart.

My DD flew halfway across the world to meet her boyfriend, who she met online. It was so strange knowing she was so far away and doing such a big thing on her own but I knew I had raised her right and that she knew how to handle herself.
She is a great kid, but I still worry! She tends to be the younger person in her group of friends because she started school early due to birthday cutoff dates. So I’m used to her having people that tend to look out for her around. Plus she’s my oldest so there’s that... I know I let the younger kids do things I’d never let her do at their age. You live and learn i guess!
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I feel your fear.
Unfortunately you can't stop her.
This trip is going to be so hard on you! You can expect more trips like this. I would like to say it gets easier (and it does to some extent ) but it's never going to be completely less stressful for you. Sorry.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I would be worried for my 30 yo friend as well . The age is irrelevant. We know the horror stories. Just make sure you can reach her, have her text you frequently, and get the address of this fella in case you have to call dateline. I hope everything goes well.
Ivegotrhythm
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

That would scare me too.
Locked Previous topicNext topic