Would you?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Would you take in a 16 year old male who has had a past of drug addiction, being physically abused and running away from foster homes? You also have other kids the same age and younger kids as well. Your husband and you are willing to help with therapy, check ins, ect ect. S

So, out of curiosity, would you do it?
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

No. I would never disrupt my household and endanger my younger children.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Once my children are older and moved out ? Yes

While my children are still young, vulnerable and impressionable? No.
luvthagirl
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Absolutely not, wouldn't even be open for discussion
CMrefugee
Donated
Donated
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Nope
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I wouldnt take in anyone with a history of drug addiction. Whether I still had kids living at home or not. I'm not the type of person who could deal with that well - providing the right type of support, being able to react properly in the event something bad happened, recognizing if the person were using and hiding it, how to get that person out of my home if need be, being the right kind of assertive that is needed to deal with someone like that - none of that.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No way. Children already in my home would be my priority.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, for multiple reasons:

I do not have energy left to deal with anymore children with high and unique needs. I am shocked by how exhausted I am dealing with my own three children.

I just listened to the book “girl, wash your face” who painted a realistic picture of the consequences of being a foster parent and what it could potentially mean to you children, friends and family. She stated it is fairly common for the false reports of abuse to be made against the foster family, putting the family though months of intrusive unfounded investigations.

I do not believe the broken system would be able to provide the financial resources to adequately care for the mental health care and academic needs of the child you describe. It would therefore be extremely expensive and require me to either 1) lower my standards and do a less than than adequate job OR 2) take money from funds for my biological children. I am not a peace with either of those options.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm No, for multiple reasons:

I do not have energy left to deal with anymore children with high and unique needs. I am shocked by how exhausted I am dealing with my own three children.

I just listened to the book “girl, wash your face” who painted a realistic picture of the consequences of being a foster parent and what it could potentially mean to you children, friends and family. She stated it is fairly common for the false reports of abuse to be made against the foster family, putting the family though months of intrusive unfounded investigations.

I do not believe the broken system would be able to provide the financial resources to adequately care for the mental health care and academic needs of the child you describe. It would therefore be extremely expensive and require me to either 1) lower my standards and do a less than than adequate job OR 2) take money from funds for my biological children. I am not a peace with either of those options.
This is all hypothetical actually. I was just curious because I happen to be looking at the adoption sheets and some of the questions they had on there were a bit surprising.

Ie: Would you take in a child with a past drug addiction? ect

So I was just curious as to if anyone would actually do it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm No, for multiple reasons:

This is all hypothetical actually. I was just curious because I happen to be looking at the adoption sheets and some of the questions they had on there were a bit surprising.

Ie: Would you take in a child with a past drug addiction? ect

So I was just curious as to if anyone would actually do it.
The book which I referred to, the author, totally did, took drug addicted newborn twins! It was such a sad story.
Locked Previous topicNext topic