Chris Pratt responds to Ellen Page's criticism of his church on LGBTQ issues, says its members 'open their doors to all.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:43 pm Chris Pratt is ignorant in his rich white privilege. He's a rich celebrity. Of course, the church is going to 'look the other way' regarding his divorce.
I’m not sure what race or white privilege has to do with this? Not all churches take the same stance on divorce. This is a church with a large celebrity congregation. Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, and Tyson Chandler, just to name a few, do not strike me as men who would be members of a church that nurtured white privilege or racial biases.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Disagreement isn’t hate. You see? That’s when “tolerance” kicks in. When you can tell the difference between “disagreement” and “hate”... like, for example, I now know you disagree with my views. Does that mean you hate me?
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm It’s hard to tolerate hate.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm Well, that’s when that little thing called “tolerance” should kick in, especially in those that demand it. To say that those that I perceive as intolerant aren’t worthy of tolerance is the perfect example of hypocrisy and incongruence. It doesn’t require a great amount of effort to tolerate those you agree with or even those you don’t disagree with. Tolerance is only tested when faced with those you disagree with. And that’s when the true colors come out. Tolerance isn’t measured by the amount of people you can agree with, it’s measured in how you act towards those you disagree with.
I believe homosexual acts are wrong. However, that doesn’t mean I mistreat individuals for doing that, or that I go around trying to make their choice of partners illegal, or I’m disrespecting anyone over it. I have the ability to tolerate that people will believe differently and act according to what they believe and that doesn’t make them any less worthy of respect. The only thing I would ask is the same consideration in return. I won’t compromise what I believe is right and true to protect anyone’s bruised egos, though. I just wouldn’t bruise those egos any further.
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 pm Ellen Page is annoying, but, man, it’s pretty hard to be tolerant of people/organizations that believe that it’s wrong for two adults to love each other just because they both have vaginas.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:49 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:38 pm
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 pm Ellen Page is annoying, but, man, it’s pretty hard to be tolerant of people/organizations that believe that it’s wrong for two adults to love each other just because they both have vaginas.

I agree but we can't say we've got freedom of religion except for the ones we disagree with. Or I'd send any of them that come knocking on my door or handle snakes on today's version of the Mayflower to a new world. Long as they're not denying insulin to a diabetic child or something along those lines they're entitled to their beliefs.
Is being critical of someone's religion denying their freedom of religion.
You said it's hard to be tolerant of them. And sure anyone can criticize anything. I criticize idiots that handle snakes even though Jesus said you shalt not test God. Serves them right if they get bitten too. Unfortunately as long as adults handle them we have to tolerant those fools. Most of us even tolerant missionaries at our doorstep as in we don't have them arrested for trespassing. What shouldn't be tolerated is harming children in any way, outright cruelty towards gays, violence. Someone saying we will welcome gays but we consider homosexuality a sin okay. I don't like it but I'll just find another church if I desire one.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:43 pm Chris Pratt is ignorant in his rich white privilege. He's a rich celebrity. Of course, the church is going to 'look the other way' regarding his divorce.
He isn’t from a wealthy background. He was born in northern Minnesota. He was homeless for quite a while and lived in his van .
After he finally started working in show business, he could afford to live in an actual dwelling.
I am not a believer in organized religion - this church is one reason why.
But I wouldn’t label Chris as “ Ignorant in his rich white privilege”. He earned his fame.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:38 pm

I agree but we can't say we've got freedom of religion except for the ones we disagree with. Or I'd send any of them that come knocking on my door or handle snakes on today's version of the Mayflower to a new world. Long as they're not denying insulin to a diabetic child or something along those lines they're entitled to their beliefs.
You said it's hard to be tolerant of them. And sure anyone can criticize anything. I criticize idiots that handle snakes even though Jesus said you shalt not test God. Serves them right if they get bitten too. Unfortunately as long as adults handle them we have to tolerant those fools. Most of us even tolerant missionaries at our doorstep as in we don't have them arrested for trespassing. What shouldn't be tolerated is harming children in any way, outright cruelty towards gays, violence. Someone saying we will welcome gays but we consider homosexuality a sin okay. I don't like it but I'll just find another church if I desire one.
Sorry, I kind of interjected into the conversation. I agree that we as a society have to tolerate views that we disagree with but it seems on this thread that intolerance and criticism are being used interchangeably. Is Page "intolerant" because she criticized Pratt's church? Am I intolerant if I criticize Scientology, FLDS, or WBC? I certainly recognize that they have a right to exist but that doesn't mean I have to be accepting, does it?

Frankly, Pratt's church has a pretty sordid past. Hopefully the church today is not the church that it was when founded or even the church it was several years ago. But again, Pratt went on Stephen Colbert and talked about his church and his pastor. I would think that he would know that there would some who would criticize, especially given his church and pastor's history. But I do think Pratt gave a good response to Page. And I also still think that Page's initial tweet was valid.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm
He isn’t from a wealthy background. He was born in northern Minnesota. He was homeless for quite a while and lived in his van .
After he finally started working in show business, he could afford to live in an actual dwelling.
But I wouldn’t label Chris as “ Ignorant in his rich white privilege”. He earned his fame.
Doesn't matter. The church sees him as a wealthy celebrity and it is his white privilege that makes him say his church welcomes everyone when that's obviously not the case and if he was some average blue collar joe who was a member of the church and got divorced, the church would treat him differently. He doesn't realize it because he's naive.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Sorry, I kind of interjected into the conversation. I agree that we as a society have to tolerate views that we disagree with but it seems on this thread that intolerance and criticism are being used interchangeably. Is Page "intolerant" because she criticized Pratt's church? Am I intolerant if I criticize Scientology, FLDS, or WBC? I certainly recognize that they have a right to exist but that doesn't mean I have to be accepting, does it?

Frankly, Pratt's church has a pretty sordid past. Hopefully the church today is not the church that it was when founded or even the church it was several years ago. But again, Pratt went on Stephen Colbert and talked about his church and his pastor. I would think that he would know that there would some who would criticize, especially given his church and pastor's history. But I do think Pratt gave a good response to Page. And I also still think that Page's initial tweet was valid.
Idk crap about where Pratt goes. But I'd say his views are mine. I'm Catholic. I don't agree with a lot of what the Vatican says. I'm divorced and can't remarry it in because i refuse to get an annulment. I use birth control. I don't agree homosexuality is a sin. It's why I don't go but I've not found a church that fits me better. So i still identify as Catholic. If someone wants to criticize that it's fine. I wouldn't say criticism is intolerance. Intolerance to me means you just burned the local mosque because you hate Islam. Criticism is when you politely write- can't think of the word- you disagree and worry about Jihad. Holy war.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Idk crap about where Pratt goes. But I'd say his views are mine. I'm Catholic. I don't agree with a lot of what the Vatican says. I'm divorced and can't remarry it in because i refuse to get an annulment. I use birth control. I don't agree homosexuality is a sin. It's why I don't go but I've not found a church that fits me better. So i still identify as Catholic. If someone wants to criticize that it's fine. I wouldn't say criticism is intolerance. Intolerance to me means you just burned the local mosque because you hate Islam. Criticism is when you politely write- can't think of the word- you disagree and worry about Jihad. Holy war.
My husband is Episcopalean. It sounds like it may be a good fit for you :)
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm
Doesn't matter. The church sees him as a wealthy celebrity and it is his white privilege that makes him say his church welcomes everyone when that's obviously not the case and if he was some average blue collar joe who was a member of the church and got divorced, the church would treat him differently. He doesn't realize it because he's naive.
What is his church? All I'm familiar with is Roman Catholics. They aren't going to care how rich you are if you don't annul your marriage-idk the procedure- you're not remarrying in the church. And they welcome everyone but consider us all sinners. Homosexual practices are a sin far as I know.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

My husband is Episcopalean. It sounds like it may be a good fit for you :)
I have been. The one I went to was overly friendly towards me. I kind of hate being noticed as a visitor, greeted, and such. And the women wanted to come visit me at my home I guess to be friendly. But I feel put on the spot. Like let me see if I like you all first and then I'll talk to you lol. But as far as a religion its very good. I've also gone to an Old Catholic church said by a Benedict monk i met. They're a group not under the Vatican so they can have more lenient views on homosexuality. I will probably go back to the Episcopal church just a different one.
Locked Previous topicNext topic