Should insurances have to cover IVF or other fertility treatments?

Anonymous 4

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:43 am I think that’s sh*t, too. But I’m wagering it’s considered life saving treatment.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am

Well I don't want to pay for that addict to go to rehab 10 times. Why don't I get a say in that?
You could argue infertility treatment is life saving too. Women have committed suicide over the sadness of never having kids
I think it is beyond sad you think everyone must agree with you and not be allowed their opinion.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:43 am I think that’s sh*t, too. But I’m wagering it’s considered life saving treatment.

You could argue infertility treatment is life saving too. Women have committed suicide over the sadness of never having kids
I think it is beyond sad you think everyone must agree with you and not be allowed their opinion.
They don't have to agree. But if they counter an argument-I can argue my point back. The poster Sportmom that just said "No" with no other argument-I did not bother saying anything to that.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Obviously you don’t think giving birth to children is very important.
🙄
I’d rather pay more taxes to help people have babies than pay for alcoholics, druggies and over eaters’ health problems.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 am Heartbreaking isn’t reason for insurance to pay for electives. Adopt or save your money.
Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 am No. Elective procedures should not be covered. I don’t give a f*ck who’s infertile.
I do!
It’s heartbeaking to want to have a baby but suffer miscarriages or Infertility.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Yes.
But IVF is very expensive and has low chances of working.
What appalls me (and I can speak with facts since I do this for a living) is that something like endometrial ablation had a long list of things that need to be done first before an insurance will cover it for a woman, but a woman wishing to transition into a man can get it no problem.

Seems kind of counterproductive to me, as in wouldn't a trans woman just have the whole damn uterus taken out and not just scraped and burned?
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 am No. Elective procedures should not be covered. I don’t give a f*ck who’s infertile.
I do!
It’s heartbeaking to want to have a baby but suffer miscarriages or Infertility.
People that have not experienced miscarriages or infertility are often very unemphatic about it.
True.🙁
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Yeah, no. It’s a microscopic amount, not remotely close to the percentage of those going through substance abuse.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:43 am I think that’s shitty, too. But I’m wagering it’s considered life saving treatment.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am

Well I don't want to pay for that addict to go to rehab 10 times. Why don't I get a say in that?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My caring, or not caring, about giving birth to children doesn’t suddenly cause infertility treatment to stop being elective. Illogical argument.
Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:51 am Obviously you don’t think giving birth to children is very important.
🙄
I’d rather pay more taxes to help people have babies than pay for alcoholics, druggies and over eaters’ health problems.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 am Heartbreaking isn’t reason for insurance to pay for electives. Adopt or save your money.

I do!
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 am And again, those aren’t elective procedures.

And yes, the people who also pay for your insurance can be considered a fragment of society. But the word choice is irrelevant. I’ll change it to “ the people who also use your insurance company”, if that makes you happier.
Infertility treatments restore normal function. It is the normal function of a woman’s body to be able to get pregnant and have a baby, do you disagree?

No, having a baby isn’t necessary to keep living, but insurance covers plenty of things that fall into that category. Glasses, cochlear implants, erectile dysfunction medication, reconstructive surgery, pain medication, etc. All covered by (most) insurances, none of them necessary to keep living. There are alternatives that cost less.

What about epidurals? Are those not elective? Treatment for any mental health disorder not severe enough to make someone suicidal or homicidal?
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

I do!
People that have not experienced miscarriages or infertility are often very unemphatic about it.
True.🙁
I have had two miscarriages. One was at 6 months. I am very empathetic and sympathetic. I still don't believe it should be covered.
Locked Previous topicNext topic