Countess
Countess

Unread post

No way would I entertain that shit.
Cupcake
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

It’s taken you four years to manage ear infections and strep ? I’m the adult I would tell her one more time I’m going back to work. I would not discuss it with her again.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Cupcake wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm It’s taken you four years to manage ear infections and strep ? I’m the adult I would tell her one more time I’m going back to work. I would not discuss it with her again.
Yes the first 2 years it was ear infections with high fevers and it took 3 sets of tubes before she started getting less then it was 2 years of strep issues even after her tonsils and adenoids were taken out. She had allergy testing and they put her on allergy medicine and she's been good ever since.
RedBottoms

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 pm I would listen to her concerns and tell her I understand. And then let her maintain some control & choices of her schedule. We also have always tried to talk about our jobs and careers like the blessings and the awesome things they are. My children would likely be the same way, if I announced I was quitting, lol.

Maybe give maybe DD something to look forward to. “After I have been working for a month, let’a use part of the money to go get manicures OR a shopping trip for you and me, which do you want?” But I am materialistic, lol, so maybe that is not such a good idea?!
I think this is the way to handle it. Tell her if you work-that means more money for the family to do things like have nicer vacations-put more money in savings for her college-etc.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Cupcake wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm It’s taken you four years to manage ear infections and strep ? I’m the adult I would tell her one more time I’m going back to work. I would not discuss it with her again.
that is not entirely unrealistic. If kids get chronic ear infections it means a day off of work or school to take the kid to be seen by a doctor and get meds. Then if the kid is still not feeling well another day off of school and work till she feels better. Then if you get enough ear infections per year they refer you to an ENT. You take off work and school to go see the ENT. They may want to see you more than once or they may want to do surgery.

Ear tube surgery is a minor surgery but it takes about a week or so of recovery so that is another week off of work or school. Then the child outgrows the ear tubes regularly and has to have repeat surgeries to put more tubes in as they grow. My son had 2 sets about a year apart. So two surgeries.

Then if she has strep throat all the time that is the same thing of taking off school and work to go to the doctor and get meds and staying home till they are no longer contagious and feel better. Then again going to see an ENT at some point to talk about tonsil removal can happen. Tonsil removal surgery is fairly rough and that is a week or two of recovery. Some do better than others with the recovery.

So yeah-working while dealing with all that is not exactly easy. Not if you don't have a super easy going boss and tons of PTO.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When my two girls were much younger they didn't want me working either, but they sure didn't mind the things that an extra income brought into the house. For my two, they were not a fan of before and after school care, but at the end of those days, they had fun there and made some good friends there.

The reality is that many families require dual incomes to survive.
Locked Previous topicNext topic