Looking for advice on IUD

Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

I failed the IUD. Got one for the same reason and ended up bleeding for the 3 months it was in. I opted for a uterine ablation and haven’t had a period since February of 2017. If you are done having children I highly recommend that with the caveat, if you still are bleeding heavily after they may recommend a hysterectomy (per my gyn). Something to consider
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:26 pm

How would a diaphragm help her heavy periods? A hormonal IUD helps stabilize the uterine lining, so people with heavy periods often get relief with them.
It doesn't but it doesn't have the disadvantages of IUD. If you want help with heavy periods, try a estrogen/progesterone combo. My daughter takes Lo Loestrin Fe.
Because sudden death from a PE, stroke, or MI is not a disadvantage worth considering?
You just are biased because you only see the people that suffer from those in your line of work. There are millions that have no issues.
Deleted User 1039

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 pm

How would a diaphragm help her heavy periods? A hormonal IUD helps stabilize the uterine lining, so people with heavy periods often get relief with them.
It doesn't but it doesn't have the disadvantages of IUD. If you want help with heavy periods, try a estrogen/progesterone combo. My daughter takes Lo Loestrin Fe.
That's what I was on for my last round before he kicked me off. Basically zero side effects because it's such a low dose. Just enough to keep things under control.
There are still significant, dangerous side effects. People talk about Mirena like it’s the devil because of the very rare incidences of things like uterine perforations, but then they either ignore or are unaware of the risks of life-threatening complications from oral contraceptives. In addition to thrombus-related events (stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism, all of which carry the possibility of sudden death), it can cause liver disease, high blood pressure, gall bladder disease, and a whole host of unpleasant but less dangerous side effects. Yes, risks are low, but they aren’t zero. Risks of dangerous complications with hormonal IUDs are low, too.

Anything that contains hormones is going to have side effects and risks. Just because oral contraceptives are less invasive and have been on the market longer doesn’t mean they are safer or better tolerated.
Deleted User 1039

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Because sudden death from a PE, stroke, or MI is not a disadvantage worth considering?
You just are biased because you only see the people that suffer from those in your line of work. There are millions that have no issues.
And there are millions of hormonal IUD users with no issues as well. I’m aware that my anecdotal experience is skewed. I’ve seen women suffering from complications from both methods, but I know that it’s just that: anecdotal personal experience. That’s why I rely on research instead of experience, and I don’t dismiss or diminish the risks of either method.

Both IUDs and oral contraceptives carry serious risks and unpleasant side effects. But you seem to dismiss complications and risks of oral contraceptives by presenting it as an option “that doesn’t have the disadvantages of an IUD.” You totally failed to acknowledge that it has its own set of “disadvantages,” up to and including death. That’s completely irresponsible. That’s one of the reasons that it can be so dangerous to ask medical advice from people who have no medical knowledge.
Anonymous 3

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:12 pm Diaphragm. It is non-hormonal. You don't have to worry about your uterus being ruptured or copper toxicity. Used properly it is just as effective as the pill. I used the diaphragm as my form of birth control from my 20's until menopause.
Birth control pills make my heavy period heavier and gives my cysts. It doesn't help all people.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

I had the Paragaurd and hated it so much I almost took it out myself. That one is non hormonal though. I don't know if a hormonal one would be better or worse. It was BAD. I have never bleed that much in my life and the cramping was so bad I almost passed out. I have a high tolerance for pain too. That was just beyond too much. It's not that way for everyone though and the good thing is they go in and out pretty easily without a huge production or a lot of pain.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

I had a Mirena for 5 years and had no issues with it. There was no pain with insertion, just slight discomfort. After it was inserted, I kind of had a constant period for like 4 weeks, but they said that can happen. It's normal. It evened out and my period from then on was so light I never had to use more than a pantiliner. Just keep in mind if you are not automatically "fixed" in the first few weeks, just be patient. It just needs a little time. And then you still have your 5 years of light periods. It's worth it.

Voice your concerns with your doctor so s/he can address them all. But otherwise I think an IUD is a smart option.
Anonymous 4

Instead of a iud have you considered the arm implant?

I have unbelievable heavy periods like you. I have found out the only bc that works is the neaxplon arm implant. It works for 3 years. I haven't had a period since they put it in. It's great.
Deleted User 172

Are you still wanting to have another child? If not I would ask the doctor about an ablation procedure.
I had an IUD for a while, it was terrible. My periods were heavier.
Anonymous 5

I loved my mirena... until one day it just fell out

It isnt even that uncommon for them to just fall out
Locked Previous topicNext topic