Looking for advice on IUD

viv74
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

The last year or so I have had very heavy periods. I was diagnosed with thick uterine lining. I have been on a three month course of Progesterone and my ultrasound the other day showed improvement. My doctor doesn’t want to keep me on Progesterone due to being considered high risk for breast cancer. She is recommending that I get an IUD. I don’t know anyone personally that has had one . I’m looking for advice. Is it a painful procedure? Did you gain weight? Any side effects? I’m nervous about it because it stays in for five years. I have little experience with birth control, outside of taking the pill in my early twenties.
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Try abstinence.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Victoriousmom wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm Try abstinence.
How would that help her period?
viv74
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Victoriousmom wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm Try abstinence.
Great reading skills! Thanks for the useless advice!
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I have had two Mirenas and have a Liletta now (same thing, brought to the market to drive the price down). I love it. DH offered to get a vasectomy, but I told him I’d still get an IUD anyway, so why bother?

The second was painful to insert, I’m not sure why it was different. Not horrible, but pretty unpleasant (for like 5 seconds). The other two weren’t really much worse than a Pap.

No weight gain (it’s rare, and the majority of women who do gain weight don’t gain that much). I’ve really not had any side effects aside from initial bleeding that lasts like 3-4 months. Mostly it was just light spotting, just enough to be annoying. After that I have shorter, lighter periods.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Diaphragm. It is non-hormonal. You don't have to worry about your uterus being ruptured or copper toxicity. Used properly it is just as effective as the pill. I used the diaphragm as my form of birth control from my 20's until menopause.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Don't. I just dealt with an ectopic pregnancy, recovering from that and my periods were longer, heavier with bad cramping.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I had a mirena for 4 years before my ex and I tried having a baby (didn't happen). It did bug me a bit and I had some cramping the whole time. Come to find out I have a small uterus. I've had a kyleena for the past 14 months and it's been great. No cramping, no period.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:12 pm Diaphragm. It is non-hormonal. You don't have to worry about your uterus being ruptured or copper toxicity. Used properly it is just as effective as the pill. I used the diaphragm as my form of birth control from my 20's until menopause.
How would a diaphragm help her heavy periods? A hormonal IUD helps stabilize the uterine lining, so people with heavy periods often get relief with them.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I had two mirenas. I was fine with the first one but had some horrible symptoms the second time around. It was a full page list that I took to my doctor and the first question he asked was if I had a mirena.
Locked Previous topicNext topic