Is 18 really the proper legal adult age? should we change it?

mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The earliest you can enlist is 17 with parental permission. The average for the US Army is just under 21..The USAF's average age for enlistment is 29 believe it or not. Those are the numbers up to 2013..there are not any current numbers though.

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:49 pm
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm I don't think anyone is cognitively ready to magically be an adult at 18 no matter how mature we think we are. I think it's f*ck that they can enter contracts, rent apartments, be seen as an adult in the eyes of the law but can't buy their own beer, rent a car, reserve a hotel room, or even apply for aid for college (you have to provide your parents' financials unless you're married or over 26).

So yeah, we need to raise the age. But I'm sure some will cry foul cuz they want to move out, want to kick their kids out and military looses their cannon fodder.
The average age a person enlists in the military is 21 🤷‍♀️
Not hardly
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:03 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:33 pm
LOL. Thanks for proving my point. It wasn’t that she had a September baby. Something else must have happened (like you mentioned holding him back in 3rd) And in your case redshirting the kid made no difference, eh? 😉 And yes, barring special needs graduating at 20 is ridiculous!
I didn't redshirt my kid. I should have but I didn't.
yes you did. Starting at age 6 is red shirting. I am a Nov birthday and I started Kindy at 5 and turned 18 Nov of Senior year
No I F***ing didn't. My kid started 5 and turned 6 on his November birthday. So where was the red shirting....
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:10 pm The earliest you can enlist is 17 with parental permission. The average for the US Army is just under 21..The USAF's average age for enlistment is 29 believe it or not. Those are the numbers up to 2013..there are not any current numbers though.

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:49 pm
The average age a person enlists in the military is 21 🤷‍♀️
Not hardly
I turned 18 in boot camp. The numbers that are available from 2013 and earlier are due to the recession. Whenever the economy gets bad you have older enlistees. Same thing happened after 2001.
RedBottoms

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:10 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm

I didn't redshirt my kid. I should have but I didn't.
yes you did. Starting at age 6 is red shirting. I am a Nov birthday and I started Kindy at 5 and turned 18 Nov of Senior year
No I F***ing didn't. My kid started 5 and turned 6 on his November birthday. So where was the red shirting....
sorry nevermind. You sent him at the right time. Even if he had to repeat a grade-that is better than just holding them back for no reason at the beginning.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 pm

sorry nevermind. You sent him at the right time. Even if he had to repeat a grade-that is better than just holding them back for no reason at the beginning.
No its not. If I had listened to my gut then my kid wouldn't have had the self esteem issues due to be held back
RedBottoms

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:17 pm

No its not. If I had listened to my gut then my kid wouldn't have had the self esteem issues due to be held back
I dont think having 20 year olds in school with 14 year olds is a good thing which is what happens when you have super old Seniors that were super red shirted going to school with freshman.............
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I dont think having 20 year olds in school with 14 year olds is a good thing which is what happens when you have super old Seniors that were super red shirted going to school with freshman.............
Then change the laws.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

So he would have done better in a class at 7 surrounded by 5 years olds? Is he slow in some way?
RedBottoms

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Then change the laws.
to what? That a 20 year old can f**k a 14 year old? That if a 20 year old and a 14 year old have a school yard fight that the 20 year old is not processed as an adult?
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Then change the laws.
to what? That a 20 year old can f**k a 14 year old? That if a 20 year old and a 14 year old have a school yard fight that the 20 year old is not processed as an adult?
Are you F***ing insane or do you just make shit up.....I'm talking about compulsory school minimums and maximums.
Locked Previous topicNext topic