Welfare

Anonymous 7

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am
caustib wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 am

The thing that would concern me about that is the people who will not take care of their kids, no matter how you cut it. No one wants kids to suffer, so we would just come full circle and have the guaranteed income plus a ton of other programs to back up the people that mishandle it.
I do not understand. Currently people have their children removed from their care all the time. Communities have to have massive backpack programs, because despite food vouchers, children supposedly are starving & food insecure. So how are all these regulations, which actually cost much more money, benefitting the poor youth?
it will be just like now. These families receive free breakfast and lunch for their kids at school and food stamps and go to food banks and yet the kids still don't get fed.............because the F***ing parents are lazy or they eat all the food themselves or they sell the food to make a buck.

I know plenty of people who make deals where "I will let you buy $100 of groceries with my food stamp card-if you give me $50 cash". I was standing right there when my friend and her other friend made that deal.

Again you can't ever make bad parents be good parents and CPS won't take them from their parents in most cases.

There is no real answer besides bringing back orphanages and going to a dictatorship communist thing where we sterilize people and don't let them have kids if they can't take care of them.
And why didn't you report your friend for fraud? Looking the other way when you know it's not ok is wrong too. Other than that you seem to have a very jaded view of people on assistance not everyone is like that and doesn't feed their kids. Perhaps you need to take a look at the quality of the company you keep. I have worked with hundreds of people on assistance every one of our clients were taken to apply to help them get back on their feet while in our shelter. Very seldom did we ever have issues with them not feeding their children. Even those that stayed in our transitional program long term where they rented apartments owned by the shelter. Yes, I'm sure it does happen but there are far more people that actually use their assistance to take care of their family's.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm I would eliminate all welfare. No food stamps, no housing assistance, etc.

The only people who really need help are the severely mentally ill who are in institutions. They need to be there and someone has to pay the institutions. That may fall under Medicaid or a similar service, not welfare.

Hunger is a great motivator. Years ago there was no welfare, yet somehow people survived. Welfare just increases the amount of people who live off it.
What about the elderly? just say to hell with the old people nevermind they worked their asses off for years and paid into our system and now they are making $800 a month. Should they not get Medicare and Medicaid either? People with cancer or other terminal illnesses or the disabled?
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am

I do not understand. Currently people have their children removed from their care all the time. Communities have to have massive backpack programs, because despite food vouchers, children supposedly are starving & food insecure. So how are all these regulations, which actually cost much more money, benefitting the poor youth?
it will be just like now. These families receive free breakfast and lunch for their kids at school and food stamps and go to food banks and yet the kids still don't get fed.............because the f*ck parents are lazy or they eat all the food themselves or they sell the food to make a buck.

I know plenty of people who make deals where "I will let you buy $100 of groceries with my food stamp card-if you give me $50 cash". I was standing right there when my friend and her other friend made that deal.

Again you can't ever make bad parents be good parents and CPS won't take them from their parents in most cases.

There is no real answer besides bringing back orphanages and going to a dictatorship communist thing where we sterilize people and don't let them have kids if they can't take care of them.
And why didn't you report your friend for fraud? Looking the other way when you know it's not ok is wrong too. Other than that you seem to have a very jaded view of people on assistance not everyone is like that and doesn't feed their kids. Perhaps you need to take a look at the quality of the company you keep. I have worked with hundreds of people on assistance every one of our clients were taken to apply to help them get back on their feet while in our shelter. Very seldom did we ever have issues with them not feeding their children. Even those that stayed in our transitional program long term where they rented apartments owned by the shelter. Yes, I'm sure it does happen but there are far more people that actually use their assistance to take care of their family's.
This.
You can't paint everyone on assistance with the same brush.
I shit glitter
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

it will be just like now. These families receive free breakfast and lunch for their kids at school and food stamps and go to food banks and yet the kids still don't get fed.............because the f*ck parents are lazy or they eat all the food themselves or they sell the food to make a buck.

That makes me so sad. I think, many people can step up and do the right thing. Sure some people may be evil, but so many are good people who found themselves in bad circumstances continuing the circle of poverty. But I think it takes culture shifts in communities, quite small& local, to help them. Motivate them up with resources that give them power NOT assistance with all these strings attached to remind them, they aren’t trusted & keep them dependent since they have no future but the same stays quo.
its not even that they are evil. They are just ignorant and uneducated and don't have delayed gratification. They would rather get a Happy Meal for their kids than buy real food at the grocery store and cook it. Maybe they never even learned how to cook.

Or they would rather buy cigs than their kids school supplies. Not evil per se-but bad
Last week i suggested you run classes on budgeting it was under the school lunch thread.

You volunteer for big brothers and big sisters maybe they can direct you.
I shit glitter
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:32 am Increasing benefits each time a woman decides to have another child. Their poor choices should not be rewarded with more money.
In tn they cover up to 5 children.
I shit glitter
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 am I'd like to see something for people who make just a bit too much for help. Idk what. Like some people, they only make 5 bucks too much for help. That has always seemed like bullshit to me.
I made $1.50 too much for WIC when my dd was born. I was active duty military. A freaking $1.50. Seems they could have given me less formula or whatever. But nope. It also didn’t help that as in most military towns, homeowners set their rent to match housing allowance. My housing allowance barely covered my rent and not at all my utilities.

If I could change one thing. I would not allow for parents to stay home instead of working some sort of job. My neighbor has four kids. Her husband works full time and she works weekends. There is always a way to have some sort of job. If you are working and doing your best and still need help then by all means. But a girl I went to school with never has worked a day in her life and mills the system. Then posts all over FB crying when things are tight.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think it sucks that those that do work and make too much can't get help but those that don't work get everything.
I shit glitter
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

“if you’re unmarried with children you waive your right to receive child support so if you are claiming the father of your kids doesn’t live with you, they collect the amount of assistance you get back from him. if your CS exceeds the amount of assistance you would get they close your case.“
Anonymous2.0 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 pm
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:11 am if you are receiving assistance you have to report the income of anyone living in the home. and if you’re unmarried with children you waive your right to receive child support so if you are claiming the father of your kids doesn’t live with you, they collect the amount of assistance you get back from him. if your CS exceeds the amount of assistance you would get they close your case.
Anonymous2.0 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 am Not allowing people to use it as a means to stay home. Get a job. A full time job. And include incomes of the fathers or boyfriends (or moms/girlfriends) if they aren’t married. Too many people don’t get married just so they don’t have to claim the other income. BS. You are not a single mom. Or dad. You just want a freaking handout.
Well, what happens when the mom uses a family member’s address and the dad lives with her......I worked in child care many years and seen all kinds of variations of deception.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Time limits, be then 5 years or what have you, but it shouldn’t be a life time situation.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 pm Comment in another post made me think. If you could change just ONE thing about the welfare system, what would you change first?
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:19 pm Time limits, be then 5 years or what have you, but it shouldn’t be a life time situation.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 pm Comment in another post made me think. If you could change just ONE thing about the welfare system, what would you change first?
In Massachusetts its 2 year in 5 year time period.
I shit glitter
Locked Previous topicNext topic