Say it louder for the people in the back

HaggardWitch
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Who wants to take advice from a spoiled babyboomer? They really fucked up the country. Participation trophies were the ideas of babyboomer teachers.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 am There are so many ways to raise successful, respectful children...
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 am
famousglm714 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am I agree for the most part. Kids grow up and have their own lives. If you center your world 100% around them 100% of the time, you're going to have a bad time when they leave the nest. I've seen it in real life. There is more to life than kids. I think it's important to maintain our relationships with our husbands but I think it's even more important to not lose ourselves.
It makes me think about these women who are in their 40's, their youngest is in High School, and they have this sudden drive to have another baby. I wonder if it's because the last 2 decades of their life have been so child focused, and they know that's going to be gone soon, and they don't know how to be just a wife anymore, so they want to keep the child-focus going by having another baby. I bet that's the case for some of them, and it's incredibly sad that they don't want to be with just their husband again.
I bet that's the case and I agree with you.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

HaggardWitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am Who wants to take advice from a spoiled babyboomer? They really fucked up the country. Participation trophies were the ideas of babyboomer teachers.
My parents are boomers, as were most of my teachers. Not once did I ever receive a participation anything. I remember being very disappointed on field day in Kindergarten cause I didn't get a ribbon, and my Mom telling me it was because I didn't earn one. I didn't get anything just for showing up.
HaggardWitch
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Millennials got participation trophies. And, at the time, babyboomers were the teachers. Gen X didn't get them. Your comparison isn't a comparison at all.
carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm
HaggardWitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am Who wants to take advice from a spoiled babyboomer? They really f*ck up the country. Participation trophies were the ideas of babyboomer teachers.
My parents are boomers, as were most of my teachers. Not once did I ever receive a participation anything. I remember being very disappointed on field day in Kindergarten cause I didn't get a ribbon, and my Mom telling me it was because I didn't earn one. I didn't get anything just for showing up.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

HaggardWitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm Millennials got participation trophies. And, at the time, babyboomers were the teachers. Gen X didn't get them. Your comparison isn't a comparison at all.
HaggardWitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am Who wants to take advice from a spoiled babyboomer? They really f*ck up the country. Participation trophies were the ideas of babyboomer teachers.
Boomers were born between 46 and 64. It is completely possible for a boomer to have been a teacher. My Mom was in her 30's when she had me, there are many teachers same age as she was and I had them. Also, I am a Millennial and have never gotten a participation trophy. So is DH and he never got one either.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 pm
HaggardWitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm Millennials got participation trophies. And, at the time, babyboomers were the teachers. Gen X didn't get them. Your comparison isn't a comparison at all.

Boomers were born between 46 and 64. It is completely possible for a boomer to have been a teacher. My Mom was in her 30's when she had me, there are many teachers same age as she was and I had them. Also, I am a Millennial and have never gotten a participation trophy. So is DH and he never got one either.

I think it's an urban legend that all those Millennials received participation trophies. It's a sad fact that some of my fellow baby boomers like to bitch about the younger generation. They forget the same things were said about us when we were younger.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When kiddo got angry when I did some grocery shopping instead of staying to watch her practice at 13 years old, I knew I had a problem and she felt my life revolved around her. I had to fix it. Kids in this culture are spoiled and entitled, and I'll be darned if I raise another one like that.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm not sure what my generation is I was born in 1966. The only time ds received participation medallions and patches was Pinewood derby and various scout camps. Usually one gets a patch for going. I don't see a problem with patches or medallions if it's given as a souvenir of an event. Trophies were for first, second and third place in the races though.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We had a great relationship but when our daughter had a nightmare or got scared she was welcome to crawl in bed with us. I don't get this children don't come first. They should because they didn't ask to be brought into this world. Our daughter has turned out great.
Locked Previous topicNext topic