“A shining example” of why owning and knowing how to properly use a gun is important.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
libbylu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:10 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... dd8b2cdf90

At least 265 people were accidentally shot by kids in 2015. This is from 2015 but I can only imagine the number has gone up or stayed the same. We can celebrate the one incident where having a gun worked out. Or we can remember that almost every day an innocent person is accidentally shot by having a gun in the home.
On Monday, three days after Christmas, the four-year-old son of an Alaska state trooper had just returned home from sledding. He was playing by himself in the living room. His mom and grandmother were not far away, in the kitchen, the Alaska Dispatch News reports.

But somehow the boy, William Anderson, found a gun belonging to his father. The gun went off and killed William.

At least 265 children under the age of 18 picked up a firearm and accidentally shot themselves or someone else with it in 2015, according to numbers compiled by the gun control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety.
I'm going to play it safe and keep guns out of my house.
Me too.👍🏻
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm I’d like to see a picture of the knife sharpening tool he grabbed. It’s like such an odd thing to grab out of a kitchen.
I wonder if it’s something like this. That’s the first thing that came to my mind. He might have thought that it was sharp.
C9C07821-EAD2-40B7-ABD5-A5B49EED0351.jpeg
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

libbylu wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm If that woman was so well trained, why couldn’t she have shot him somewhere that would disable him instead of killing him?
A disabled threat is still a threat. You aim for center mass. Arms, hands, legs are all moving targets. They may not be in the same place they were when you aimed and fired.

But you know this. It’s been said over and over again in almost every gun thread in CM.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

libbylu wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm If that woman was so well trained, why couldn’t she have shot him somewhere that would disable him instead of killing him?
People who are trained to shoot are not taught to shoot to disable. They are taught to shoot to kill.
KAG
Mean Girl
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm
Midnight_Storm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm I’d like to see a picture of the knife sharpening tool he grabbed. It’s like such an odd thing to grab out of a kitchen.
I wonder if it’s something like this. That’s the first thing that came to my mind. He might have thought that it was sharp.

C9C07821-EAD2-40B7-ABD5-A5B49EED0351.jpeg
I had completely forgotten about that style. That would make sense. He probably grabbed it by the handle thinking it was a knife.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

I have no problem someone having a gun in their home for protection, especially a woman living alone. As long as they don't let their children/grandchildren/suicidal partner/or neighbor access that gun, I'm good.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 pm
A disabled threat is still a threat. You aim for center mass. Arms, hands, legs are all moving targets. They may not be in the same place they were when you aimed and fired.

But you know this. It’s been said over and over again in almost every gun thread in CM.
I would think only people who use guns every day can be trained to disable, not kill. Even then cops don't do it well at all. If you're a regular person in a distressing situation you're not going to be able to do much more than point and pull the trigger. You can't really worry about anything else.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:36 pm I have no problem someone having a gun in their home for protection, especially a woman living alone. As long as they don't let their children/grandchildren/suicidal partner/or neighbor access that gun, I'm good.
I completely agree.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Deleted User 473

Unread post

How Often Do People Use Guns In Self-Defense?
April 13, 20183:51 PM ET
SAMANTHA RAPHELSON

Twitter

A student participates in a civilian active shooter response course for concealed weapons permit holders on March 24 in Longmont, Colo.
Rick T. Wilking/Getty Images
The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

It's a common refrain touted by gun rights advocates, who argue that using guns in self-defense can help save lives. But what is the actual number of defensive gun uses?

According to the Pew Research Center, 48 percent of gun owners say they own a gun mainly for protection. But for years, experts have been divided over how often people actually use guns in self-defense. The numbers range from the millions to hundreds of thousands, depending on whom you ask.

NRA, In New Document, Acknowledges More Than 20 Russian-Linked Contributors
NATIONAL SECURITY
NRA, In New Document, Acknowledges More Than 20 Russian-Linked Contributors
The latest data show that people use guns for self-defense only rarely. According to a Harvard University analysis of figures from the National Crime Victimization Survey, people defended themselves with a gun in nearly 0.9 percent of crimes from 2007 to 2011.

David Hemenway, who led the Harvard research, argues that the risks of owning a gun outweigh the benefits of having one in the rare case where you might need to defend yourself.

"The average person ... has basically no chance in their lifetime ever to use a gun in self-defense," he tells Here & Now's Robin Young. "But ... every day, they have a chance to use the gun inappropriately. They have a chance, they get angry. They get scared."

Read More @ https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60214382 ... lf-defense
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If you’re well trained your trained for center mass. You shoot to kill not injure. If she just shot him in the arm or leg he’s still a threat. Adrenaline makes you move even after you’ve been shot. He could have still killed her if she’s shot hi in the arm or leg.
Locked Previous topicNext topic