I don't let others drive my car

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

JoJo728 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am
JoJo728 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm My husband and I drive each other’s cars when the need arises. He has a Civic and I have a CRV. Occasionally he will use my car if he has to pick up something big or if his is in the shop and I don’t need it. And vis versa. I can’t imagine being so rigid. The only thing that annoys me is that he doesn’t put my seat back the way it was. And when my DD first got her Iicense, she drove my car part of the time until she got her own car.

And in 35 years of owning a car, I have never had someone ask to borrow my car. Maybe I just know responsible people.
What does being responsible have to do with borrowing someone else's vehicle?
Being responsible in taking care of their own cars and making their own transportation arrangements. I am responsible for my own needs and my own wants, including my transportation issues. I have never needed to borrow someone else's car. Nor would I want the responsibility of taking on someone else's car. I do expect others be be the same.
So what about like right now, my sister flew in to stay with us for the holidays. She is staying for 15 days. We let her use our vehicle as she needs it while she is here. 15 days would be a hell of a rental car expense otherwise. What would your responsible solution be?

A few years ago, our best friend was taking a road trip for a couple weeks but owned a little two seater pickup truck. We owned a minivan and a small SUV. For the road trip we let him take our minivan (he threw a mattress in the back and slept in it instead of a hotel) and we used his pickup truck. What would be your responsible solution that doesn't involve needlessly spending money on hotels?

These are just a couple examples of it making perfect sense to let someone else drive our vehicle and it has nothing to do with the other person being responsible or not. We've had dozens and dozens of examples over the past 20 years where we've borrowed someone else's vehicle, or they've borrowed ours, and it's not at all because anyone is not responsible. I think you have a very narrow viewpoint on the subject.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am married.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 pm Read her comments on here. They are all weird, wacky, and/or stupid. Either she is an idiot or a troll or both.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:06 pm Can't you just insert "SO" where she mentioned "husband?" What's the big deal? What about what she said makes her an idiot? See corrections below.

Her replies arent rude but I can see why an idiot like you wouldnt be married. Only a mega idiot would marry you.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Haven't noticed it. But will keep an eye out.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 pm Read her comments on here. They are all weird, wacky, and/or stupid. Either she is an idiot or a troll or both.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:06 pm Can't you just insert "SO" where she mentioned "husband?" What's the big deal? What about what she said makes her an idiot? See corrections below.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 am

I don't even have a husband, you're just being an idiot like always.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am

What does being responsible have to do with borrowing someone else's vehicle?
Being responsible in taking care of their own cars and making their own transportation arrangements. I am responsible for my own needs and my own wants, including my transportation issues. I have never needed to borrow someone else's car. Nor would I want the responsibility of taking on someone else's car. I do expect others be be the same.
So what about like right now, my sister flew in to stay with us for the holidays. She is staying for 15 days. We let her use our vehicle as she needs it while she is here. 15 days would be a hell of a rental car expense otherwise. What would your responsible solution be?

A few years ago, our best friend was taking a road trip for a couple weeks but owned a little two seater pickup truck. We owned a minivan and a small SUV. For the road trip we let him take our minivan (he threw a mattress in the back and slept in it instead of a hotel) and we used his pickup truck. What would be your responsible solution that doesn't involve needlessly spending money on hotels?

These are just a couple examples of it making perfect sense to let someone else drive our vehicle and it has nothing to do with the other person being responsible or not. We've had dozens and dozens of examples over the past 20 years where we've borrowed someone else's vehicle, or they've borrowed ours, and it's not at all because anyone is not responsible. I think you have a very narrow viewpoint on the subject.
Yes I do have a narrow view and I will own that. You have been lucky to not have anyone in 20 years damage your car. I just don’t want people who are not used to my vehicle driving it. What happens if they get into an accident. Then I am out a car if it is totaled (and insurance does not cover full replacement costs) or the deductible while I wait for it to be repaired. Not to mention my insurance rates going up. My SIL lives in Ireland. She comes to the States and is a terrible driver. I’ll be damned if I am lending her my car.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. GReat that it works for you but I am not willing to take those chances.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

You don't have to justify why you won't lend your car. It's your car. Anyone who would be mad at you for not sharing it would be out of line. And your SIL...from Ireland...There's no way in hell that I'd let someone who is a bad driver AND who is accustomed to driving on the LEFT side of the road...borrow my car while in the US! LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoJo728 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:01 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes I do have a narrow view and I will own that. You have been lucky to not have anyone in 20 years damage your car. I just don’t want people who are not used to my vehicle driving it. What happens if they get into an accident. Then I am out a car if it is totaled (and insurance does not cover full replacement costs) or the deductible while I wait for it to be repaired. Not to mention my insurance rates going up. My SIL lives in Ireland. She comes to the States and is a terrible driver. I’ll be damned if I am lending her my car.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. GReat that it works for you but I am not willing to take those chances.
Locked Previous topicNext topic